To keep lavender on top of soap purple...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I'll post pics as soon as I get some lessons (or lots more study of the user's manual) under my belt for our digital camera. Normally, I have my hubby or one of our electronic-talented children do any photography. BUt I need to learn to do this for myself!

Does the alcohol help at all with keeping the lavander on top from turning brown when the soap gets wet/used? Probably not but just thought I'd ask. Mine are staying pretty blue/purple so far but not so pretty once wet.

Did you use the alcohol method, Kazmi?

The buds do turn brown after being in water, unfortunately. :(

No I didn't know about the alcohol method when I made it. It's sprinkled on top and lightly pressed in hp soap that I made about 2 months ago.

Ok here is my use of dried rose petals using the layer of alcohol underneath. I added the alcohol/petals about 24 hours after pour. They still look like this after 1+ weeks of curing. I couldn't tell that the petals browned from the soap at all.

srose2.jpg

MaitriBB, that is awesome! It's nice to know maybe this will work with all kinds of herbs/flowers. Your soap is beautiful, too!

Oh! pretty!!!!

My lavendar is still purple but I'm going to try this. I'm sprinkling rosemary on top next batch and will use the alcohol just to be sure.

MaitriBB, that is awesome! It's nice to know maybe this will work with all kinds of herbs/flowers. Your soap is beautiful, too!

Thanks - I didn't put rose petals on all of the bars because I was making that scent (sandalwood rose) for a customer request, and didn't want the petals to ruin the soap if it didn't work. But the FO seized the batch so I had to glop a bit and the tops of the soap look like .. um .. lady parts .. if I don't have the petals on top. Needless to say the customer will be getting the soaps with the petals :)

Sprinkled my soaps with dried mint April 12 . . .

OK, I'm ready for experiment #1. Prepping to do a batch of Ecualyptus-Mint Cp soap. After the gel (or maybe even, out of the mold?) I will finish it with a fine sprinkle of rubbed, dried mint leaves on top, Spayed ie: soaked with 51% isopropyl alcohol (could not find any 90% shopping yesterday in my teeny hometown.) We'll see how long the mint leaves stay green. I figure if they turn unattractive, I can just 'scrape' that top layer off the soaps.

Well . . . I still don't have photos, but I can share from my experiment. (I've been super busy this spring, and will continue to be.)

The soaps are a lovely pale green color from some green clay and a bit of green oxide. The dried mint that I sprinkled and then alcohol sprayed onto two bars has not changed in appearance; the mint is still firmly adhered to the soaps. But, it does not look like mint leaves. The mint leaves (I tried several possibilities here) look dark brownish-green once they are dry. On the soap, they look, well, just dark. I haven't had time to try with another herb that stays 'greener' in the dry, like cilantro or dry parsley flakes. So far, calendula is the only herb I've been able to confirm stays a nice true color in the soap, on the soap, after using the soap. Thanks to all for this discussion!

Ok here is my use of dried rose petals using the layer of alcohol underneath. I added the alcohol/petals about 24 hours after pour. They still look like this after 1+ weeks of curing. I couldn't tell that the petals browned from the soap at all.

srose2.jpg
These soaps look lovely! I bet they smell great too. When you added the rose petals 24 hours after pour, did they stick okay or did you have to press them in? Are they still sticking now?

Wow, I couldn't have read this thread at a more perfect time. My next batch will be lavendar, so now I know how to keep the top looking good. Thanks for sharing!!

Back