To gel or not to gel?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghengis151

Reaction score
What are the physical differences between batches of cp soap that has gone through the gel phase and soap that has been put in the freezer or fridge to prevent gelling?
Is there a color difference? Is there a difference in scent? Is curing time affected by non gelling? Are results more predictable by non-gelled soap?

These are just some questions that I have. I've only poured cp soap that has gelled and the end product is at times vastly different from the expected product as most of us have found out the hard way. I would appreciate all of your feedback/advice/stories. I'm considering putting my next batch in the freezer to prevent gelling. Thanks.
-Rick

Gelled soap has more of a transparent look, whereas non-gelled soap looks more opaque. I have not noticed any difference in scent strength, but my soaps seem softer, requiring longer cure time.

CiCi said:
Gelled soap has more of a transparent look, whereas non-gelled soap looks more opaque. I have not noticed any difference in scent strength, but my soaps seem softer, requiring longer cure time.

Do you gel or not gel?

Hi -

I gel because I can't seem to stop it. I would prefer to not gel my milk soaps but they have a mind of their own. I like the creamier look you get when you don't gel. It's simply a personal preference when it comes to gelling. It just takes a little longer for saponification to complete.

I gel - most of the time. It's very hard for me to stop gel in my TOG molds. I have to put them in the freezer, then to the fridge & just watch them like a freakin' hawk til they're finished.

What I've noticed is the gelled soaps are more translucent & silky, silky smooth, while the non-gelled are opague & rough to the touch-almost a bit grainy feeling, but not extremely.

I didn't see a difference in either color or scent in the 3 batches I tested.

So far, I haven't had any bad results from gelling, although I'm going to be using EO's & I wonder if they would last longer if the soap doesn't gel?

Latest posts

Back