To buy or not to buy... New Scale?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimW

Reaction score
So I have tool envy. Lisa at "I Dream in Soap" uses a dual platform scale. šŸ¤¤ Question is, worth the money? Not much money, granted, but I do already have two scales that serve fine so I'm struggling with wondering if it will really be so much of a game changer to be able to weigh two things at once. I'm thinking mainly of additives and colorants, but also of batch splitting.

It's these challenges, see. Prior I didn't worry about weighing batch splits and my colorants were very minimal...

ETA: I'm looking at this little number:
https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-kilograms-Platforms-Ingredients/dp/B01LXXBQWD

I had one very similar to that and really liked it until one day (at less than a year into owning it), it just stopped working altogether. Battery replacement did nothing. So I was very disappointted. I don't recall the brand, though and cannot say if it's worth it for you. For me, it wasn't a huge loss, but it certainly was disappointing.

Aw, I was excited for a moment when I saw 10kg X 0.01g, but one side does up to 10kg and the other side does 0.01g increments... It's basically the same as the two scales I already have, but I'd have to move them around together instead of putting each one where I want it šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
Not sure what the advantage of having them joined together is, to be honest?

I figure if you needed a new scale, then having an all in one would probably be nice. However if you already have the ability to weigh 2 things at once, and one of those does small fractions of a gram, then you'd have to ask yourself if this is really necessary.

Thank you each for your thoughts and input! Just what I needed. Soaping is one of my messiest crafts and is hard on equipment like scales. Yep. I do already have the ability to weigh two things at once. Yep. And of my two current scales one is better in that it does 0.001g. Yep. I never noticed but I do often have my two scales apart from each other. Yep.

Thank you each for your thoughts and input! Just what I needed. Soaping is one of my messiest crafts and is hard on equipment like scales. Yep. I do already have the ability to weigh two things at once. Yep. And of my two current scales one is better in that it does 0.001g. Yep. I never noticed but I do often have my two scales apart from each other. Yep.
which scale do you have that can go to .001?

This one - :)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083J7G7ZX/
ETA: OOPS I see now it only goes to .01g. Sorry! My version goes to .001g. :confused:

Well, @AAShillito, I am a doofus. I checked after dinner and my scale doesn't do 0.001g it does 0.001 ounces and 0.01g. I'd love to blame it on just typing an extra zero, but I was just wrong, wrong, wrong. So sorry about that. I will say, though, that I really do like this scale. It seemed a little fragile when I first opened it...when? More than a year ago maybe? But, it's held up to my abuse, so it must be a good one.

Speaking of scale envy, I want Teri's one with the little panel that goes down over the controls šŸ˜†
I'm normally not that messy actually, but somehow my scales always gets the worst of it! The one I bought last month is already looking a bit melted from having FO spilled on it... (Maybe best not ask what's in those ;) )

Late to the party, but I'd suggest that if you are going to upgrade your scale, get one that can work on AC power as well as batteries. For someone living so far from civilization, lol, that AC plug could be a life (or soap) saver!

Late to the party, but I'd suggest that if you are going to upgrade your scale, get one that can work on AC power as well as batteries. For someone living so far from civilization, lol, that AC plug could be a life (or soap) saver!
Hey now - THAT'S a good point! How I love to be enabled! Wahooooo!
FYI, I actually have a little sewing machine that works on batteries and electric. It makes a terrible racket, but I had to use it last year during one of our power outages to keep up with our community mask making efforts/quota! What a hoot.

This one - :)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083J7G7ZX/
ETA: OOPS I see now it only goes to .01g. Sorry! My version goes to .001g. :confused:

Well, @AAShillito, I am a doofus. I checked after dinner and my scale doesn't do 0.001g it does 0.001 ounces and 0.01g. I'd love to blame it on just typing an extra zero, but I was just wrong, wrong, wrong. So sorry about that. I will say, though, that I really do like this scale. It seemed a little fragile when I first opened it...when? More than a year ago maybe? But, it's held up to my abuse, so it must be a good one.
No worries!

Latest posts

Back