To Bevel or Not to Bevel

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathymzr

Reaction score
I’m just lucky if my soaps work to worry about bevelling, and I don’t sell. But always learning. We have Trader Joe’s in CA, and we’ve used their soap for years — I prefer my own now, but their mild soap was fine for a long time. My daughter tipped me off about the bars. They have one edge heavily beveled. The reason for it, said my daughter, is so that a new bar will fit snuggly into the soap dish in the shower without jumping off. By gum, it works!!

So many posts on this topic. Do a quick search and you'll find hundreds, but what it finally boils down to, is it's a personal preference and what (when you start selling) your customer base prefers. I don't bevel. It's a waste of time for me and my customers don't care (or at least have NEVER said a word about it in the 15 years of selling) so I don't worry about it.

Others do, and have mentioned that their customers (along with themselves) pefer to bevel due tot he sharp edges. So decide for yourself what you want to do.

I did not bevel for the first year and a half, lately I started doing it though, I find the soap easier to rotate for first time use. However, either is fine. Planing is what I fell in love with after trying it once.

They have one edge heavily beveled. The reason for it, said my daughter, is so that a new bar will fit snuggly into the soap dish in the shower without jumping off. By gum, it works!!

How cool! You've got me curious enough now to go look and see if I have a rogue unbeveled soap laying around so I can see if it slips off my shower dish. lol I bevel all my soaps, but maybe it's possible there's an unbeveled older one hiding that got away. lol

IrishLass :)

I have been beveling off and on with my potato peeler and I do like the beveled edges. I need a planer though--I was using my mandolin but I didn't like the way it worked so I ordered a beveler/planer. just waiting for it to show up

Latest posts

Back