To Bevel; or not to Bevel, THAT is the ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To bevel or not to bevel?

• I feel it is a waste of time AND soap, leave well enough alone!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I always bevel my soaps! A clean edged soap is like a clean shave!

• I always bevel my soaps! A clean edged soap is like a clean shave!

• Total voters
I bevel. I know it takes more time and all that, but personally I really don't care for the sharp edges in the shower.

Irena

I have my beveller in the mail, it should be here mid next week. I will be bevelling, if only to make my products look different from everything else available in the area. I also prefer the look of them when bevelled, they look more 'finished'.

While I was on hols a couple of weeks ago, I saw a great way to use the shavings. This shop was putting them into organza bags and selling them as an alternative to a loofah or bath scrubby. I bought one to try, and was very impressed with it. The organza felt smooth on the skin, but it was enough to 'polish' the dry skin away.

Becky, my wife makes a refillable washcloth, using a Velcro closure on top, and a scrubby side and a exfoliant side. She did not like holding a bar of soap in the shower and used liquid soap. Until we came up with the idea to put the shavings into a refillable washcloth, she did not use my soap. Now she ONLY uses my shavings in her "Refillable Washcloth" to shower with. Talk about bubbles and smooth skin... She has taken then to market, and sold a few hundred of them to an online retailor, hoping to go big time with QVC, or Shop NBC. She makes a Bar Sock Saver to fit a bar of soap, that is what I use!

Paul....

I do both! With my natural more organic soaps I don't bevel because I like the rustic natural look. But with my soaps that have color and FO, I bevel, because it looks cleaner.

I don't bevel mine. I think they look more "homemade" if I just leave them as-is

Becky said:
Hey Paul, what is a 'bar sock saver'? It sounds interesting.

Becky, my DW loves to sew about as much as I love to make soaps ans soap tools! She never would use my bar of homemade soap, didn't like the way it felt in her hands. We were wondering what to do. She came up with the idea to make this sack that holds the bar of soap with a loop on it to hang it over the shower head to drip dry between uses. Wala, The TOG Soap Bar Sack was born. Then she made a wider washcloth size one with a Velcro closure on top to refill with soap shavings. We sell the shavings by the ounce at craft shows with her two products. You can grade soap in the food processor, place in the glass "candy" jars at a show and use tongs, remove and weight out shavings placing them into a Zip-Lock baggie. There you have it! She has made and sold over 500 of these items to the public and one online retailer we sell my TOG Tools to. Here are some pictures;

Looking into the TOG Soap Bar Saver bag;
soapequipment031.jpg

The one side (exfolating) of the TOG Soap Sliver Saver Rag;
soapequipment028.jpg

The side other (soft) side of the TOG Soap Sliver Saver Rag;
soapequipment027.jpg

soapequipment026.jpg

soapequipment030.jpg

"Candy" style glass jar with shavings in it. It also sits on a 45* angle for display at craft shows.
soapequipment029-1.jpg

Thanks Irena, I'll tell the wife you liked them. :) Dianna at DSPS bought a few hundred of them last late summer, fall. I don't know if she listed them at DSPS or sold them elsewhere. 8)

Paul.... :wink:

What is DSPS please and how much does she charge?

I make these with micro-fiber cloth and elastic in the top. They are sturdier that the one in the local 99cent store.

Lucy said:
What is DSPS please and how much does she charge?

I make these with micro-fiber cloth and elastic in the top. They are sturdier that the one in the local 99cent store.

DSPS is Dianna's Sugar Plumb Sundries, an online soap supplier. She sells my TOG Soapmaking Tools, too. She ordered a few hundred of these item from my wife, but as far as I know, she did something else with them. :?

Paul.... :wink:

to bethose vel, or not

I do both, bevel if its a girly soap, not if its more rustic. I also use all my shavings, end pieces and what not in laundry detergent.

those soap savers are great! i knit mine!

Back