Titanium mixing pot

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kabatura

Reaction score
As soon as I can, I'm going to try my first batch. Im thinking a one pound batch. Everything I have read has said to mix it up in stainless steel or enamel pots. I have an enamel pot but it's so big one pound of stuff is to low my stick blender won't reach it. My stainless steel cooking pots would work but I don't know if it would be a very good idea to make soap in them. I have an old titanium pot I used when backpacking that I'll never use before, it's the right size but I don't know if it would react with the lye or anything. Any ideas?

found this:

"Nuts and Bolts
The lye fusion method is a relatively straight-forward procedure. If you can afford it, a sturdy, covered titanium crucible seems to be preferred for working with either elemental Sodium metal or Sodium Hydroxide. If you cannot obtain a titanium vessel, acceptable results can be had by using a crucible made from 1810 stainless steel. Generally, a small 5-inch or 6-inch diameter stainless steel cooking pot with a well-fitting stainless steel lid makes an acceptable vessel. Make sure to remove any plastic handles or knobs that may be present, and plug up any left-over holes with a stainless steel nut and bolt. Another caution - make sure the handle is not riveted on with aluminum rivets. The aluminum rivets will melt almost as soon as your crucible hits the fire (...don't ask me how I know this!) and should the aluminum metal make it's way into the lye - toxic compounds will be formed and your project will be ruined. Drill any aluminum rivets out and replace them with stainless steel nuts and bolts, or simply leave the handle off and plug up the holes with stainless hardware.

"

http://www.subtleenergies.com/ORMUS/tw/lyeburn.htm

Although i dont quite understand what theyre making...from what I DO understand, titanium should be STRONGER than steel?? right??

I make soap in my stainless cook ware all the time. It's the only time it gets cleaned :lol: It is perfectly OK to do that, after all, it is soap. I've also made it in a plastic ice cream pail.

My soap pot is a plastic (HDPE) square bucket that some cream puffs came in from Sams. :lol: I have 2 of them. Super easy to pour the traced soap into mold since it is square, using the corner. Been using them for years. When I need a new one, gives me reason to buy more cream puffs! :D
No fancy soap pot for me, a freebie, after eating the cream puffs that is. :wink:

Paul

So Paul.......what you are saying is that I need to go to Sam's and get a tub of cream puffs. Perhaps I should get 2 so I can make a second batch right away and thus be more efficient.

AND.......since it would be a terrible sin to toss the cream puffs just for the container, I need to eat them.

Yes, this is an excellent idea! Thanks!!!!!! It's going to be a great day. :lol:

Digit
**going to get cream puffs**

Yup, it is a necessary tool to make soap. One must eat the cream puffs in order to make soap. :lol:

You guys crack me up. Thanks Digit, you made my day! :lol:

Paul

:evil: I have been throwing those kind of containers out because I didn't think they could take the heat :cry:

Sonja

Latest posts

Back