Titanium Dioxide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPowers

Reaction score
Did I mention how much I hate working with Titanium Dioxide? Not because I have a black granite sink, although that's probably reason enough! But because I can't seem to be able to find a bottle that doesn't leak like the dickens when it is shaken vigorously as it always needs to mix properly!

For those of you who disperse TD in advance, what do you use and do you have the same problem I described? I'm using a plastic condiment bottle. I just made a new batch and used a new and different plastic bottle but the same idea and yup - same thing happens! So frustrating.

1. Add a marble or two to the bottle to help disperse it faster.
2. Take the top off, place a piece of plastic film (cling wrap, saran wrap, whatever you call it) over the top, make sure to leave a bit of "give" in the bottle - meaning don't stretch it tight over the opening, let it be slack.
3. Replace top securely.
4. Shake as needed.

When I shake I do cover the top with a paper towel or cloth as some residual TD from the last time I used it always seems to come spraying out.

1. Add a marble or two to the bottle to help disperse it faster.
2. Take the top off, place a piece of plastic film (cling wrap, saran wrap, whatever you call it) over the top, make sure to leave a bit of "give" in the bottle - meaning don't stretch it tight over the opening, let it be slack.
3. Replace top securely.
4. Shake as needed.

When I shake I do cover the top with a paper towel or cloth as some residual TD from the last time I used it always seems to come spraying out.

I do have some ball bearings in the bottom along with a couple of larger glass stones (sort of). And I also use paper towel or an old cloth and most times both... But I am shaking my hear that I would not think of something so simple and makes total sense! Dahhhhhhh Thank you!

I do have some ball bearings in the bottom along with a couple of larger glass stones (sort of). But I am shaking my hear that I would not think of something so simple and makes total sense! Dahhhhhhh Thank you!

I use a plastic condiment bottle too with the little red stopper in the top. I also let my bottle sit in hot water in a jar while I get ready to soap to warm it up and loosen things up. It doesn’t need as much vigorous shaking that way.

I use a plastic condiment bottle too with the little red stopper in the top. I also let my bottle sit in hot water in a jar while I get ready to soap to warm it up and loosen things up. It doesn’t need as much vigorous shaking that way.

another great idea! thanks

Dahhhhhhh Thank you!
I forgot step 5: remove cling wrap before using... I might have done that the first time I tried this.
I was tired of making a mess with my TD and was looking for a nonfiddly solution and be able to use the bottle I have. You can thank my 13 year old daughter for suggesting it. I don't know why I couldn't figure it out either!

out of the mouths of babes as they say! Hopefully going forward, I won't have so much difficulty thanks to you ladies!

Why not use one of those little flip top bottles made for transporting liquids on a plane? You can get them at walmart for a couple bucks and they don't leak.
Condiment bottles are great but always leak. I use them to water my tarantulas and they are a pain.

Why not use one of those little flip top bottles made for transporting liquids on a plane? You can get them at walmart for a couple bucks and they don't leak.
Condiment bottles are great but always leak. I use them to water my tarantulas and they are a pain.

That would be a great idea if I could find a bigger one... they all seem to be very small - specifically made for travel. Maybe Amazon has something like that... I will look.

Here are words that I have never used: "water my tarantulas"! :D

I use an old hair conditioner bottle that holds 8.5 ounces. It’s not too stiff or too flexible so when I am shaking it with one hand, I’m not disturbing the air pressure inside.

After using my blender to blitz the oil and td, i put the mixture into my bottle with clean nuts and bolts (I have to give credit to Lisa from “I Dream in Soap” for that idea). It has a tightly fitting flip top lid. I just give it a shake and I’ve never had issues.

I use safflower oil, by the way, because it’s nice and lightweight and disperses perfectly, regardless of the temperature.

I order 2 bottles from Amazon today... I should have check my bathroom cabinet - I'm sure I have one of those bottles already! My ball bearings are small so I put in a couple of glass stones used for plants etc. But bolts sound like a good idea.

I order 2 bottles from Amazon today... I should have check my bathroom cabinet - I'm sure I have one of those bottles already! My ball bearings are small so I put in a couple of glass stones used for plants etc. But bolts sound like a good idea.

I would be worried about the glass balls breaking. If you go with nuts and bolts, be sure they are stainless.

another tip from my lab tech days -- always keep a finger over the cap or closure when you shake a bottle to mix the contents. If you shake that TD bottle as hard as I do, a cap might easily go flyin' without a protective finger in place.

Back