Titanium dioxide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noreen Moore

Reaction score
Oh no... Old boy bought me an industrial quantity of titanium dioxide. Insane amount. He doesn't remember the website he purchased it from.
How do I figure out if I mix with water or oil? This is unlabeled packaging!
Is there a way to tell? I anticipate mixing both ways to see. However what do I look for? Help friends!
Newbie here!

Pretty positive this is water soluble. However it mixed with oil way better than my 1st purchase from a popular company that sold as oil soluble!
I will see if what I mixed with oil settles or separates over time. ;)

Shopping list! Glycerin! Lanolin! Rose colored clay! Collidal oatmeal! Rice bran oil!
Want some sparkly gold mica for pencil lines!
I want I want I want! Sigh... I am officially worse than my 4 begging grandchildren! Guess I should pick up an extra shift at work!

Shopping list! Glycerin! Lanolin! Rose colored clay! Collidal oatmeal! Rice bran oil!
I want I want I want! Sigh... I am officially worse than my 4 begging grandchildren! Guess I should pick up an extra shift at work!
I understand completely. Rose clay is not cheap but everything else on your list is. Try just Pigments for your gold sparkle mica. They have free shipping for $10 orders.

I love your writing -- love your enthusiasm and humor! Have you used titanium dioxide before? I love it but learned the hard way that it can make glycerin rivers. When I use TD now I soap at lower temperatures and use a 32% lye to (lye plus liquid) ratio and have not had rivers ever since. Keep us posted. Your old boy sounds like a good partner -- my wife is a better cutter than I and creates way cuter labels than I ever could.

@Zing Yes I bought a 1 ounce jar and used it up quickly. This new industrial quantity is by far superior! Last stuff gave me specks and lots of rivers! I did mix with distilled water. Used it in my 2 confetti soaps. No rivers no specks! YES!!!! I created an album! Hee hee hee! Love this forum! I first thought it would be embarrassing to post pictures as I am just learning, however it is fun to track my progress!

I love this forum too. When I first started soaping I got glycerin rivers and didn't even know what to call the "ridges" but posted a pic and the pros diagnosed it pronto and gave me advice on prevention. I mentioned this yesterday in another forum but awhile back I posted a photo of my epic fail and still laugh when I look at it! https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...-funnel-entry-thread.71221/page-2#post-723672 I saw so many photos and YouTubes with beautiful dancing funnels and mine was more like 'bumping glops'!!

Zing! That soap made me smile! Yup! And I instantly glance at my big epic failure soap! My purple mica morphed to grey! Don't even remember what color the mica was that turned green. And totally think I should toss it. I realized my essential oil was for aromatherapy use only. Not made for topical use. Total acceleration. I was excited over the oils and the price I bought 6 of them. I guess I break out my bamboo skewers and aromatherapy the rest of my house! Not that a good dozen batches of curing soap doesn't make my house smell lovely! Chalk it up to learning!

Zing! That soap made me smile! Yup! And I instantly glance at my big epic failure soap! My purple mica morphed to grey! Don't even remember what color the mica was that turned green. And totally think I should toss it. I realized my essential oil was for aromatherapy use only. Not made for topical use. Total acceleration. I was excited over the oils and the price I bought 6 of them. I guess I break out my bamboo skewers and aromatherapy the rest of my house! Not that a good dozen batches of curing soap doesn't make my house smell lovely! Chalk it up to learning!
Some micas especially greens and purples will morph then change back to their color. Also some yellow can go orange before changing back to yellow when the ph settles in the soap. If your mica is listed as ph stable it will morph back to the color listed. Purples are notorious for going gray at first.

As for your EO's if they are pure EO's they are perfectly safe for your soap but some EO's will trace quickly. It depends on the EO. Where did you purchase your EO's and what brand?

@cmzaha This was Wal-Mart generic Mainstays Rose essential oil blend. Then what I overlooked was aromatherapy use only. I have purchased from said store but bought the more expensive Aura Cacia organic EO. I have subsequently switched to purchasing from online soap making distributors!

I can't find the rose blend you mention, but I did look at the ingredients lists for several other Walmart Mainstay "essential oil" blends. IMO, the ingredients lists look like they're fragrance oils, not true essential oils.

The supplier in India sells home decor (wreaths, artificial flowers) and home fragrance products (candles, potpourri). They aren't essential oil purveyors. https://www.rameshflowers.com/home-fragrance

@DeeAnna Awesome you looked into this! I purchased a few. I have 5 left. Thinking of just getting in store credit and taking them back. Really not wanting to use these since there are so many online just for soap stores. That acceleration is a fright! :eek: Live and learn! Oh I really look at all the specs now! And reputable companies!
I actually have to ummm... Stop making purchases and start soap making! We had some retail therapy and I have a lot of various scents! :rolleyes: Also the Angel on my left shoulder says I have enough mica the Devil on my right shoulder says no such thing as enough mica! The struggle is real!
Thanks for looking into this!:thumbs:

I have a budget for “I Wants”.

Back