Titanium Dioxide

Discussion in 'Beginners Soap Making Forum' started by Dragonfly Soaps, Jan 18, 2020.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Jan 18, 2020 #1

Dragonfly Soaps

Dragonfly Soaps

Dragonfly Soaps

I tried to premix in a bottle with oil. When i used it, my batter ended up with way too much oil. I covered it in the mold overnight and it's still not set. What can I do? And how do I premix the td? I think I'd rather use water

2. Jan 18, 2020 #2

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

TD comes in oil, water or oil /water soluble versions. Depending on which you are using designates how to dissolve it. If using oil version it is best to mix it with a mini airbrush paint mixer such as a badger or small whisk dissolving it the best you can. Then pour into a bottle with 2 or 3 ball bearings leaving the un-dissolved TD in the bottom of your mixing container. I like to use deli cups and just toss them. When I used to use TD and mixed larger amounts I would use a mason jar with a SB for mixing and put in larger ball bearings, than I would use in a bottle. If mixing large amounts of oil-based I would add in either BHT or ROE. I simply do not use TD anymore.

3. Jan 18, 2020 #3

Dragonfly Soaps

Dragonfly Soaps

Dragonfly Soaps

I'm sorry i don't know what the acronyms mean... besides TD... still new to soap making

4. Jan 18, 2020 #4

Obsidian

Obsidian

Obsidian

How much oil are you using to mix your TD? You just need enough to make a smooth slurry, really should be enough to mess with your soap.
    I'm not positive but I thought I read about oil soluble TD being able to mix in glycerin.

You can always try mixing a little with water, see if it works. Again, you only need a little to mix it. I use roughly 1 heaping teaspoon of TD to a teaspoon of water.

5. Jan 18, 2020 #5

Dragonfly Soaps

Dragonfly Soaps

Dragonfly Soaps

I probably did it wrong lol... back to the drawing board.

6. Jan 19, 2020 #6

CatahoulaBubble

CatahoulaBubble

CatahoulaBubble

Supporting Member

I only mix my TD with a few tablespoons of oil. Just enough to make a slurry and dissolve the TD.

7. Jan 19, 2020 #7

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

Yes, oil TD will mix with glycerin. Sorry, I did forget to mention that. It sounded like the OP wanted to pre batch TD which is why I explained how I do it. For single-use, I would make a slurry, but it still does not always mean it is perfectly smooth, even if it looks like it is. So I am still careful to let it settle and try not to pour all the bottom of the slurry into my batter.

8. Jan 19, 2020 #8

Relle

Relle

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic Staff Member Admin SPONSOR

Acronym thread on the forum - it might help if you, if you familiarize yourself with them.
    https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/the-acronym-and-abbreviation-definition-thread.3789/

BHT (Butylated Hydroxtoluene) is a white crystalline solid, about the same granular size as household sugar. BHT is used in products containing oils.
    ROE - Rosemary Oleoresin / Rosemary Oil Extract

9. Jan 19, 2020 #9

Dragonfly Soaps

Dragonfly Soaps

Dragonfly Soaps

Thanks, i found the acronyms thread. Can i rebatch this batter or should i just toss it because it's not setting up due to too much oil???

Draft saved Draft deleted