Titanium Dioxide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deetlebug78

Reaction score
I thought I had my TD mixed well and I still have bits of it in my final soap bars. Another TD question... will TD cause CP soap to sweat! I’m very new to using TD. I have put in in my lye solution, I have dispersed it into Oil and Aloe Vera Juice and directly into soap batter. I’m thinking of just not using it. Sigh!!!!

Titanium dioxide used to frustrate me to no end! Some are oil soluble, some are water soluble, and some don’t even specify. Ever since I discovered Nurture Soaps titanium dioxide, I have loved it. It is completely water soluble.....not even one lump! It’s like it just dissolves in water. You barely even have to mix it.
I’ve never had TD cause sweating in my soap. I’m not sure what could be causing that for you. Depending upon the temp I soap at, I may get some glycerin rivers that are more visible.

Thank you so much for your feedback! I will try NS

Also I’m pretty sure you’re correct it glycerin rivers still a super wonderful soap and I just ordered the TD from Nurture Soap

Last edited by a moderator:
Titanium dioxide used to frustrate me to no end! Some are oil soluble, some are water soluble, and some don’t even specify. Ever since I discovered Nurture Soaps titanium dioxide, I have loved it. It is completely water soluble.....not even one lump! It’s like it just dissolves in water. You barely even have to mix it.
I’ve never had TD cause sweating in my soap. I’m not sure what could be causing that for you. Depending upon the temp I soap at, I may get some glycerin rivers that are more visible.

With NS td, do you have to keep it from gelling to prevent "crackle?"

Crackling can happen with any soap, with or without colorants, but adding pigmented colorants will accent any crackle that forms. Formulate your recipe to use less water and that will reduce the chances of crackling.

Set your lye concentration (NOT water as % of oils) at 30 to 33%. At 33% the chance is pretty low. Not zero, but low. At 30% lye concentration there is a little more chance of crackle, but not like the 26 to 28% lye concentration that "38% water as % of oils" will often get you.

Yes, thank you, I already learned that from you awhile back. My solution is 34%. I didn't mean the cracks that form on the top of a loaf but when I swirl with white, the white inside a bar where it was warmest looked "antiqued." There were no open cracks just crackly lines in the white part. I've never had any other pigment do that. If I keep it from gelling TD doesn't do that.

"...white inside a bar where it was warmest looked "antiqued." There were no open cracks just crackly lines in the white part...."

Yes, that's what I'm talking about too. If you're truly using 34% lye concentration (not 34% water as % of oils), then you shouldn't be seeing crackle. I'd suggest looking at the rest of your recipe. Any other water-based liquid -- for example if you use water in your TD or food puree -- can lower the overall lye concentration into the "crackle zone." It doesn't take much.

If you're truly using 34% lye concentration (not 34% water as % of oils), then you shouldn't be seeing crackle. I'd suggest looking at the rest of your recipe. Any other water-based liquid -- for example if you use water in your TD or food puree -- can lower the overall lye concentration into the "crackle zone." It doesn't take much.[/QUOTE]

Yes I am truly using 34% lye concentration, but, I also use water soluble TD. It's not water soluble but clumps up at the bottom of my squirt bottle, making me use more water than I'd prefer to get it white. Very annoying. Even with all this, it doesn't crackle if I keep it just warm and don't let it gel. But I am very happy to hear about NS.

Yes I am truly using 34% lye concentration, but, I also use water soluble TD. It's not water soluble but clumps up at the bottom of my squirt bottle, making me use more water than I'd prefer to get it white. Very annoying. Even with all this, it doesn't crackle if I keep it just warm and don't let it gel. But I am very happy to hear about NS.

Try mixing it with oil (even if it says mix with water on the container) use oil from the mix.

If you use water to mix any additive take it from the recipe water. If you use 20g water from the recipe mix for the white add 20g (or the correct ratio of water to the amount of oils) to the uncoloured part.

What you’ve done is changed the lye concentration in the white part - it’s not 34% lye concentration anymore.

I gel everything too, it is so much easier and gives a consistently good product that I can unmold quickly.

What you’ve done is changed the lye concentration in the white part - it’s not 34% lye concentration anymore.

Ditto what Penelope said. I mix my TD (no matter if it's water dispersible or oil dispersible) with a little glycerin. I soap with a 33% lye concentration and I gel, and it's extremely rare that I ever get the crackles. The only time I ever do get them, it can pretty much always be traced back to my soap overheating because of an ornery FO.

IrishLass :)

I've started mixing my TD into my lye solution, and it works brilliantly!

Latest posts

Back