Titanium dioxide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penelopejane

Reaction score
I used to use water soluble TD which was fantastic. Recently I bought a huge box of TD and its oil soluble. :(

It is impossible to mix with oil and leaves little white spots. Any hints on how to mix this?

I have glycerin. If glycerin does not saponify what are the advantages of using it to mix colours? Won't it just be excess oilyness in the soap?

I know in liquid soap it is used instead of water. Is that the case in CP? Should I reduce the recipe water by the amount of glycerin I use?

I've just started using glycerin to mix my colors and I'm very very pleased! I haven't had any problems, and the colors come out smoother. I was using water so sometimes I'd get that crackle effect, and now I don't. I try to use about 50/50 glycerin and color.

I either use little coffee frother or if TD is used in all of the batch I just stick blend it in my oils before addig the lye.

I used glycerine few times but it's only good for TD ad micas not oxides or neons as they stay in clumps. I actually had more luck by just mixing everything in oil. Almond oil works best for mixing colours.

Thanks everyone.

If I mix 1 tsp of glycerin with 1 tsp of TD do I have to take 1 tsp out of the water for the recipe?
Or do I just add that extra tsp of glycerin and hope that it has no effect on the soap?

Water is not a problem if you add more or less of such a small portion (~5ml) . It is the ingredient that will help you dissolve all the NaOH and further more it will make a less or more lye concentration. In case of 5 or 10 ml/gr of water difference you will not understand any difference in a recipe of 1000gr of oils.

So you don't have to worry about subtracting so little water from the recipe.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

If I mix 1 tsp of glycerin with 1 tsp of TD do I have to take 1 tsp out of the water for the recipe?
Or do I just add that extra tsp of glycerin and hope that it has no effect on the soap?

I mix my TD and glycerin, no need to deduct the water. I sift my TD through a cake sifter pan, add it to the glycerin right away and no more clumps!

9k=

Last edited:
Have you tried mixing it in a bottle with some SS ball bearings to mix it up with? I have one of them squeezy mayo bottles and a couple ball bearings in there. I mix my TD with OO and I just give it a good shake before adding. no speckles to be had at all

I mix mine fresh each time I soap- just enough TD that's needed for the batch at hand- and I use one of those little battery-operated mini mixers with the serrated disk attachment to get it mixed into my glycerin lump-free/spec-free. Those little mixers are great for the task.

IrishLass :)

OI follow a soap maker Kevin Devin on you tube and his water based and his is in a squirt bottle with a match box car to help mix it. I love his you tube videos I have learned a lot from his techniques and he even shows his mistakes :D.

Latest posts

Back