Titanium dioxide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertBarnett

Reaction score
I have read that TD causes cancer, what are all of yours opinions on using TD? I have one soap that I made with it and I am worried about it.

But, I am also trying to figure out how to get white soap without it. Would white Micas be a good sub?

I am not trying to panic anyone. It is probably something like you have to use 10 tons of the stuff before it causes cancer.

Robert

You can read this and formulate your own opinion:

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/titanium_dioxide#section=Carcinogen

The summary of it basically was:
Airborne particles showed signs of possible carcinogency in rats. Further testing was done in hamsters and gerbils and it was determined they did not have the same effect as in rats (not carcinogenic).
Epidemiological studies were done on human workers in factories where TD was being made. No increased cancer risk was found in most studies.

It poses no risk on the skin. The risk is associated with inhaling the small particles into the lungs. You should wear a dust mask or respirator when working with any particulates.

Mica that is white will likely have TD added to it. You need to wear a mask when working with mica or any pigment that can become airborne to reduce inhalation risks.

ETA: Zinc oxide is a "natural" alternative to TD. However, it requires more to be white and you still need to wear a mask with using it like with all powdered materials. It also does not get as white as TD.

Last edited:
I use TD. I have tried white mica but it takes more to get it white. I figure if they use it in foods and cosmetics it's not a big deal in a wash off product.

Thank you every one. Don't worry about it and cover your nose and mouth when working with it. Got it.

Robert

Latest posts

Back