Titanium Dioxide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lillybella

Reaction score
I want to mix my Titanium Dioxide from BB like Kevin Devine does in the ketchup squirter! How much Titanium Dioxide & how much water do I mix together?

Hi lillibella, I've recently done this too as it saves a lot of time. I don't think it needs to be exact, roughly how the supplier suggests but on a larger scale. I also added a few ball bearings to aid in mixing.

I too premix my TD and have it in a squirt bottle. I just eyeball it. I mix it and give it a shake a few times a day to get it nice and smooth. It's made it so much easier.

According to BB: We recommend starting out at 1/16th to 1/8th teaspoon per pound for melt & pour soaps. For cold process, add 1 teaspoon of oxide to 1 tablespoon of a carrier oil like Sweet Almond or Olive Oil and mix well using a mini mixer.

So the ratio is 1 teaspoon of oxide to 1 tablespoon water or carrier oil?
This is a lot of measuring for a squirt bottle! The ball bearings sound like a great idea!

I was hoping someone could give me the ratio on a larger scale. :idea:

According to BB: We recommend starting out at 1/16th to 1/8th teaspoon per pound for melt & pour soaps. For cold process, add 1 teaspoon of oxide to 1 tablespoon of a carrier oil like Sweet Almond or Olive Oil and mix well using a mini mixer.

So the ratio is 1 teaspoon of oxide to 1 tablespoon water or carrier oil?
This is a lot of measuring for a squirt bottle! The ball bearings sound like a great idea!

I was hoping someone could give me the ratio on a larger scale. :idea:

That is a 1:3 ratio.

Thank you for doing the math for me :oops:

So I would mix 4 ounces of Titanium Dioxide to 12 ounces of water?

Last edited:
I've tried several different TD's, they all seem be so different in consistency (even at the mftr's reccomendations.) Thank you for the ball bearing suggestion, CL, that seems like a good way to disperse things with a good hard shake. Probably a silly question, but are they are stainless steel? Although I don't know enough chemistry to figure out how metal and titanium dioxide react.

I've tried several different TD's, they all seem be so different in consistency (even at the mftr's reccomendations.) Thank you for the ball bearing suggestion, CL, that seems like a good way to disperse things with a good hard shake. Probably a silly question, but are they are stainless steel? Although I don't know enough chemistry to figure out how metal and titanium dioxide react.

Titanium dioxide won't react with stainless steel, which I'd use as you don't want the ball bearings oxidizing in the water.

http://cameochemicals.noaa.gov/chemical/21114

OIl disperse TIO2

Depends If you are create a TIO2 suspension Meaning dispersing the TIO2 in OIl
you have to factor in the amount of oil going in your soap batter.
example 1 oz TIO2/OIL YOU WOULD subtract 1 oz.

BUT WHY all the headache. just take 1 oz of oil out from you bowl mix it with the TIO2 AND PUT IT BACK IN . or just sprinkle it in the oil and mix with hand mixer. ( my method) and let sit for a while.

An alternative to ball bearings that you will be able to find in your local Lowe's or Home Depot: Go to the hardware isle where they have the trays/drawers of specialty fasteners and get a few stainless steel nuts of whatever size you want.

Latest posts

Back