Titanium Dioxide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachgurl

Reaction score
I want to order some titanium dioxide but I'm left with 2 questions. First, which kind should I buy; oil or water soluable. Second, what is the usage rate (I make 4.5 pound soap batches).

I get mine from Southernsoapers.com. It is a dual use...you can add it to the water or the oils. I add it to the oils and combine really well. I soap RT but I add the TD to the just melted oils and give it a good stir. I restir when I an ready to soap. I use a very scant 1/4 teaspoon to 2lbs of oils. You can get a really white bar this way unless your FO is quite dark. I have the best color results when I add it to the whole batch, then remove what I want for a color swirl and then add the color to the already whitened up mixture.

I have water dispersable from Oregon Trails, but I've mixed it just fine into my oils before with my stickblender.

I've never gone over 1 teaspoon PPO because I read where more than that can lead to a chalky feel in one's soap.

IrishLass :)

I have the oil dispersible kind too, but I use the drink mixer attachment on my stick blender and mix it with my goat milk, pouring it in at very light trace into my KitchenAid stand mixer and mixing to light trace.

Paul :wink:

I mix mine with the oils. Beware! If you do water discount, the TD causes trace to happen real FAST!!

HI All,
I am new to this forum and craft. I see titanium dioxide on many ingredient lists from certain soap companies. I was wondering what it is, what it does and the benefits of using in handmade soap,
THank you so much

Latest posts

Back