Titanium Dioxide - water or oil dispersible?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllieMae

Reaction score
I've only ever used oil dispersible TD and micas to colour my CP soap. But it's time for some new purchases and I'm wondering what are all of your preferred products for colouring - oil dispersible TD and micas, or water dispersible TD and oxides?

Are some easier to use than others? Does one give better results with final cure colour or 'workability' of batter? Are they basically the same and can be used interchangeably in CP soap, leaving it just up to personal preference?

I've never heard of micas being water or oil dispersible. I add them straight to the batter or mix with a bit of oil or glycerin (if pre-mixing a large amount).

For TD I much prefer water dispersible. However there is also TD that can be done in water or oil. I don't like the oil dispersible as I always ended up with little clumps even if I strained it.

I've never heard of micas being water or oil dispersible. I add them straight to the batter or mix with a bit of oil or glycerin (if pre-mixing a large amount).

For TD I much prefer water dispersible. However there is also TD that can be done in water or oil. I don't like the oil dispersible as I always ended up with little clumps even if I strained it.
Hmm, I always disperse my micas in oils first to avoid clumps...I guess I've been adding an unnecessary step!

And that's the exact thing I needed to hear. No matter how much I attempt to get rid of clumps with TD in oil, I'm almost always left with some. I will be going for the water dispersible this time around. Thanks!!

I always mix my mica with a bit of oil (from the batch) before adding it to the batch. I premix my TD with water in a plastic bottle (disc top) with a ball bearing inside the bottle (or similar object, rock, anything that won't break) similar to what you hear rattling around inside a can of spray paint. When I want to add the TD to my batch, I simply shake the bottle vigorously and squirt what I need directly into the batch.

Hmm, I always disperse my micas in oils first to avoid clumps...I guess I've been adding an unnecessary step!

And that's the exact thing I needed to hear. No matter how much I attempt to get rid of clumps with TD in oil, I'm almost always left with some. I will be going for the water dispersible this time around. Thanks!!

No, I meant water dispersible. I do disperse it in oil. Wasn't aware there was an option in types. Sorry.

I use oil for mica, water for TD. I have added mica directly to the batter and it always works well.

So which does everyone prefer in soap and why? Is there anything that makes one better than the other?
I prefer water TD for soapmaking. I do have oil TD but only use it cosmetic formulations.

I'm wondering what are all of your preferred products for colouring - oil dispersible TD and micas, or water dispersible TD and oxides?
I started with oxides, but quickly switched to micas. Mica colorants are so much more vibrant than oxides. Most micas/oxides can be dispersed in either water or oil unless they specifically say they can't - such as with TD, or with micas labeled "oil locking". I have purchased a few of the oil locking micas and find that they are typically (at least the 3 that I bought) are not color stable with high pH so also look for pH stability or if color morphing notations.

Are some easier to use than others? Does one give better results with final cure colour or 'workability' of batter? Are they basically the same and can be used interchangeably in CP soap, leaving it just up to personal preference?
Water, oil, or glycerin all seem to give the same workability. I think water colors tend to be a bit more muted in the soap (or maybe I diluted too much hahaha). I think glycerin is the best because glycerin is really shelf stable so you can premix your colors and store somewhat indefinitely.

Good to know @amd, re: micas being more vibrant. For some reason I was under the assumption that oxides were more vibrant. I think I'll stick to micas but definitely switch to water dispersible TD.

Thanks all!

I add micas directly to my batter and I rarely use oxides anymore for the reasons stated above.
I also stopped using TD entirely. Now I use either Winter White mica from Nurture or Snow White mica from Mad Micas and I add them directly to my batter. I like them both and just order from whichever company I'm placing an order with at the time when I'm running low. I much prefer them to TD.
https://nurturesoap.com/collections/micas/products/winter-white-micahttps://www.madmicas.com/collections/all-micas/products/snow-white-white-colorant

Back