Titanium Dioxide Replacement

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello I am wondering if there is some way I can use another substance to replace titanium dioxide. I do not have any titanium dioxide and it will not be in for a while but I need to make a sofa with white color me as well as other colors do you guys know of any substance because I have been googling it a lot and haven't found anything. Does cornstarch have the same effect. I really need help!

I personally don't know of anything that would be a good 1:1 replacement for titanium dioxide. The only thing that I can think of that would come close is pearlized mica. As for cornstarch- unfortunately, it can't hold a candle to TD. Not even close.

The best suggestion I can give is to make a soap made from mostly tallow or lard. Those will give you a fairly white bar.

Hopefully others will chime in soon.

IrishLass :)

:( I don't have ANY white or cream pigments. Could I achieve a cream color by adding a very SMALL amount of yellow? Lol. I'm desperate here

No, yellow will make it darker. You need white or cream to lighten.

Someone is using white kaolin clay to lighten her soap, but I imagine you don't have this clay either.

Best solution for the lightest colored soap without using TD or white clay would be to use pale colored fats -- lard and coconut oil are two.

What oils are you using? You can get the Wilton's White White in the cake decorating isle at Michaels. It's mostly titanium dioxide I used it when I did cake decorating in a previous hobby/business.

I have used zinc oxide twice just out of curiosity ;) The results are comparable but I just eyeballed the necessary amount since I used it only for part of my batch for contrast and I remember the result was more cream in colour than whiteness that I get when I use TD. Kaolin does not make significant colour change for my soap.

What oils are you using? You can get the Wilton's White White in the cake decorating isle at Michaels. It's mostly titanium dioxide I used it when I did cake decorating in a previous hobby/business.

Sooooo... I had $5 on me and was driving by Michael's today. I had a choice to get something to eat or go to Michael's. Well the obvious answer is to go to Michael's :thumbup: , so I did :crazy:. I remembered this post actually and got the Whilton's white white.:)

How much did you use in your soap shunt? Is it the same usage as powdered TD?

I'm not shunt but I have used it. It is about the same maybe a touch more. Make sure you stick blend it in really well. If you don't have a stick blender you might have problems getting it incorporated.

Latest posts

Back