Titanium Dioxide in Goat's Milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperi27

Reaction score
I wanted to try making my goat's milk soaps white. Now to explain quickly I make rebatch soap from cp soap so I cannot just omit the Goat's Milk :) I was wondering if anyone has had success adding td to the goat's milk. I would also like to know about using WKC in the goat's milk if it would work? I may just try a batch to see myself.

I use TD all the time! All I make is GM soap. I do have the WS TD and not the OB TD. I do just put it in my GM and SB the cold GM before I add it to my oils/fats. I use about 1/2t. PPO of TD. You can add TD to your oils, if you have that type. I like the WD TD myself.

Works for me!

Paul... :wink:

soapbuddy said:
Paul,
She said she's using a rebatch. That might not work as well.

Irena

Dah! :oops: My bad! :oops: Your right Irena. Hey, nix all I said about your situation....I had a brain wave hit a few minutes ago.... :oops: :oops:

Paul.... :wink:

OK, after reading the post a few more times, Am I correct to say that you are wanting to use GM at some time in the rebatch process, and add TD to it then? What is "WKC"? :? That is a new one on me. :)

Ok I purchase gm rebatch base soap from a soapmaker. I wondered if I added the td after I cook the soap if it would still turn and remain white. I know i'm just going to have to bite the bullet and try but I wanted to know if anyone has had success with it. WKC is white kaolin clay. That tells you how long I've been reading and studying soapmaking I no longer spell the words out LMAO. I do add a touch of oils to the rebatch before I cure it so maybe I will try adding the td to my hot oils and then mix it in with the gm. Wish me luck! Thanks btw for responding!

I think it will also depend whether you have oil soluble or water soluble TD.
If you add too much water with the TD to the rebatch, you might end up with the "shrunken head" syndrome.

Irena

Yea, I agree Irena. I use the water based TD, but have some oil soluble TD ordered. I add the water based soluble TD to my goat milk. I hit it with the stick blender and add it to my just emulsified batter. If you add TD to a super-fatted oil, be sure to use oil dispersible TD.

Then that is perfect because the one I'm going to purchase is both oil/water soluable! I also wondered about using white kaolin clay if that would work?

AB CD EFG HI JKL MNOP... what are ya'll initialling about?

XOXO TIA, your BFF LOL!

Tabitha said:
AB CD EFG HI JKL MNOP... what are ya'll initialling about?

XOXO TIA, your BFF LOL!

LOL Laughing Out Loud ...now I'm really LOL, LOL!

Tab., that's just how CP soapiers talk, we put so much energy into making soap that our brains are slowing down when it comes to getting on the forums and actually talking in normal words! Acronyms, gotta love 'em, or hate 'em! LOL see I did it again! LOL LOL!

PAJ.....AKA...SMM :wink: :lol: :lol:

pepperi27 said:
Then that is perfect because the one I'm going to purchase is both oil/water soluable! I also wondered about using white kaolin clay if that would work?

I've never heard of one being both. It might be water soluble but oil miscible maybe?

Irena

I searched for which companies carried titanium dioxide and Wellington fragrance carries one which does both duty! Not sure if it will work or not but I won't know if I don't try!

Thanks for the "FYI" Pepper. 8) I did not know there was a crossover TD being made. That's why I love this forum, all sharing info....love it!

paul.... :wink:

According to Wellington it's dispersible, NOT soluble. So it will not dissolve in water, but just temporarily mix.

"This may be added during soap making to make the soap whiter. It may also be added to the clear melt & pour base to make it whiter. Only diamonds have a higher refractive index than Titanium Dioxide. Titanium Dioxide is also known for its tinting abilities. When using red, blue, yellow, green or other pigments you now have the ability to tone them and generate either additional or softer colors. Our Titanium Dioxide is one of the first in the industry to utilize one formula to be both water and oil dispersible. This product is cosmetic grade and complies with all Food and Drug Administration requirements".

Irena

Well I did an initial test on 4oz of gm with a pinch of White Kaolin Clay (WKC) LOL It became considerably lighter than before. I soaped Pink Sugar which I knew would turn completely brown. So with the addition of the clay it turned lighter....for now. I will leave the soap for a few months maybe six to see how it behaves. I'm wondering though if I used a rebatch base without the gm would it still turn very brown? My next adventure LOL

Pink Sugar (depending where you got it) will most likely turn brown. I've tried it in lotion as well and it has discolored.

Irena

Yea Irena, I think all "mica's" just disperse in liquids, and don't dissolve, and TD is a mica, isn't it? They have reflective values; Td is the highest reflective value below that of diamonds. All this is interesting. I know I like TD added to my Gm to make it a bit lighter. Thanks all for your valuable input.

You can buy TD at MMS too. They only carry the water dispersable one. Be careful when using TD as too much can cause the soap to feel and look chalky.

With Pink Sugar, I agree that it will more than likely turn VERY dark. Because of this, it is a good one to do a blind swirl with.

Back