Titanium dioxide and seizing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louise Taylor

Reaction score
Hello,
I am trying to slightly whiten a creamy soap and so added a little TD, about 0.5% of the oils. This batter also had some white clay which I use as an EO fixative. I have used the clay before with no problem but this time with the TD the soap seized. Reading about it I understand this can happen and to fix it I should add more water. Then again more water can cause glycerin rivers.
Is there a perfect combination or should I just keep experimenting?
Thank you :)

Hello,
I am trying to slightly whiten a creamy soap and so added a little TD, about 0.5% of the oils. This batter also had some white clay which I use as an EO fixative. I have used the clay before with no problem but this time with the TD the soap seized. Reading about it I understand this can happen and to fix it I should add more water. Then again more water can cause glycerin rivers.
Is there a perfect combination or should I just keep experimenting?
Thank you :)
I have never experienced this problem before but it could be a combination of the TD & EO.

I don't use TD that much anymore. I prefer to use white mica instead.

Now some white micas will use TD in the manufacture of the mica color but the amount used is very little. I have a synthetic white mica that does not use TD at all in it but either way the white mica won't cause any problems the way TD will m

I have no idea how much .5% is, roughly how much tsps ppo was that?
I use 1/4 - 1/2 tsp ppo oil and its never caused accelaration.
It could have been the combo of clay and TD.

I have never experienced this problem before but it could be a combination of the TD & EO.

I don't use TD that much anymore. I prefer to use white mica instead.

Now some white micas will use TD in the manufacture of the mica color but the amount used is very little. I have a synthetic white mica that does not use TD at all in it but either way the white mica won't cause any problems the way TD will m
Thank you. I will have a try with a white mica instead.

I have no idea how much .5% is, roughly how much tsps ppo was that?
I use 1/4 - 1/2 tsp ppo oil and its never caused accelaration.
It could have been the combo of clay and TD.
Sorry but I don’t know. I work in grams so 2.5 grams in 500 grams of oil.

That seems pretty high to me. For my 680g of oil recipe, I would use about a quarter to a half teaspoon of TD. I've never bothered to weigh it since I'm not sure the scale could register it, but if you're familiar with ml, 1 teaspoon roughly equals 5 ml.

I've never weighed colorant before but I just weighed my TD. 1 tsp was 2 grams.
I'd say you used more then nessacary but not a insane amount. For 500 grams of oil, I'd try 1 gram of TD at max.
Unless your base recipe has dark oils like evoo, that should be plenty to lighten it.
You might skip the clay too or maybe reduce that if you are using a lot.

That seems pretty high to me. For my 680g of oil recipe, I would use about a quarter to a half teaspoon of TD. I've never bothered to weigh it since I'm not sure the scale could register it, but if you're familiar with ml, 1 teaspoon roughly equals 5 ml.
thank you 😊

I've never weighed colorant before but I just weighed my TD. 1 tsp was 2 grams.
I'd say you used more then nessacary but not a insane amount. For 500 grams of oil, I'd try 1 gram of TD at max.
Unless your base recipe has dark oils like evoo, that should be plenty to lighten it.
You might skip the clay too or maybe reduce that if you are using a lot.
OK thank you 😊. The clay is to anchor the EOs but I could use something else for that, cornstarch maybe.

Latest posts

Back