Titanium dioxide and micas

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregon Groves

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to sell my soaps in a store, however they can't have titanium dioxide in them. For me that's a problem as I use it to give the goatsmilk that creamy color ( I use olive oil) and I use micas. I do use nanoparticle free TD. I explained this to the owner and also explained that it's in a lot of products we eat and drink and if she would reconsider. I would love to have this opportunity but that means no micas and natural colorant from carrot powder and beetroot just aren't the same. I know there will be other opportunities for me if she says no as it is her business.
Do a lot of people steer clear of TD? I don't think many realize it's even in your coffee or that powder donut your eating.

Have you tried white kaolin clay? I've never made goat's milk soap, but I put kaolin clay in all my soaps and even my honey and hemp isn't a tan as it can be. But I'm pretty biased, I really like clays in my soaps. Good Luck!

Yes, I have heard of some people steering clear of TD. I don't know if they stay away from food containing it or if they are unaware of just how prevalent is.

Personally, I wouldn't create a custom line of soaps for a retail store unless they were buying enough to make it worth while.
How is the store owner about scents? Would you have to use EO only?

TD occurs naturally, but nature is bad at packaging it for my convenience. Then again, nature also created arsenic and mercury.
I personally think TD is safe, but if this business is important to you, you might consider using light-colored OO instead, and increasing the price a little if necessary.

If you've been around this business for a while, how often do their fads change? Are they frequently promoting a new product, material, or lack thereof? And will you be expected to change/reformulate your soaps to keep up?

I called them and had a wonderful conversation with them. I explained why I use it..aesthetics really. Anyway, they have all organic fragrances and essential oils so they are going to send me a list as mine are not.
It'll be ok if it doesn't work out also. I really like my soaps. This is a fabulous opportunity. I looked at other ouls such as canola oil but worry about dos. I saw brambleberry has one that is high oleic canola but I it's even more expensive than evoo that I buy in my town.

I called them and had a wonderful conversation with them. I explained why I use it..aesthetics really. Anyway, they have all organic fragrances and essential oils so they are going to send me a list as mine are not.
I don't buy into all that "hoo-hah" with organic fragrances, all-natural, etc when it comes to soap. And I'm really opposed to shop owners telling me how to make my product. Next thing you know, they'll be telling you how to package your soap...can't use shrink wrap, or cello bags, or whatever...must be wrapped in handmade rice paper.

But to address your dilemma, if you really need to be in this shop: There are a lot of people who use essential oils in their soap...I do not. I think they're too expensive and I've never been injured using a quality fragrance oil. I think there are wonderful (and safe) fragrance oils out there that are manufactured specifically for application in soap. Also, if you're not familiar with essential oils, you could misuse them. But essential oils would solve the "organic fragrance" issue.

In terms of natural color: Check out Jo Haslauer's eBook. (She's not able to ship printed copies right now due to Covid, she's in Australia.) Just go to: naturalsoapcolor.com You'll learn many options to get a plant-based color.

I have the opportunity to sell my soaps in a store, however they can't have titanium dioxide in them. For me that's a problem as I use it to give the goatsmilk that creamy color ( I use olive oil) and I use micas. I do use nanoparticle free TD. I explained this to the owner and also explained that it's in a lot of products we eat and drink and if she would reconsider. I would love to have this opportunity but that means no micas and natural colorant from carrot powder and beetroot just aren't the same. I know there will be other opportunities for me if she says no as it is her business.
Do a lot of people steer clear of TD? I don't think many realize it's even in your coffee or that powder donut your eating.

I make GMS with 40% Olive Oil and don't use TD and have a beautifully creamy soap.

You could try zinc oxide or kaolin clay.

ETA: It's only an opportunity if you can resell the soap if things don't work out. When I decided to make a business out of soap making, I was cautioned by another artisan soap maker about trying to please all the people all the time. I only do one special order soap...it's for one of the ladies in my crafting group...she loves my soap, but is allergic to Cocoa and Shea Butters. So for her, I deviate from my Regular Recipe and she pays the same price (at her instance) as for my other soaps. I have to make it from scratch since I Master Batch, but it's not a huge deal and I usually make 'test' batch sizes for her so she can have a lot of choices.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back