Titanium dioxide and discoloring FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guspuppy

Reaction score
Will adding differing amounts to of TD cause differing amounts of discoloration in the soap? Does adding any TD at all prevent the discoloration? I know adding other colors can help mask discoloration but I am thinking specifically of an FO that discolors dark brown and if I can get varying shades of brown by adding varying amounts of TD to the batter cups. Also, could a FO that discolors dark brown ever be made almost pure white by the use of TD?

Will adding differing amounts to of TD cause differing amounts of discoloration in the soap?

Yes, you will get different shades of brown.

Does adding any TD at all prevent the discoloration?

No.

I know adding other colors can help mask discoloration but I am thinking specifically of an FO that discolors dark brown and if I can get varying shades of brown by adding varying amounts of TD to the batter cups.

Yes and no. If I add say...Really Red! Pigment and TD to a discoloring FO, I will end up with a reddish-brown.

Also, could a FO that discolors dark brown ever be made almost pure white by the use of TD?

I am going to say 'no'. TD tends to cause acceleration. You would need to add a LOT of TD to turn a dark brown discoloration to just a light brown and then you would be plopping your batter into your mold.

I embrace the brown. I either let it do it's thing or I will had a little TD to a portion of the batter for a swirl, or like with my Chocolate Espresso, I don't add any FO to a portion of the batter, add TD and spoon on top of the soap as 'whip cream'. And yes, you could try and not add the FO to a portion, color it and then do a swirl, but you would need to expect that the swirl would become slightly discolored by the surrounding FO. The only reason why my 'whip cream' stays 'white' is because I use a cocoa line in between layers. There is still the tiniest amount of bleeding, but that could be the cocoa.

Oh right! I totally forgot I could withhold the FO from part of the batter for no (or light) color! Thanks!
you can also use a proven to work VS -
I have used VS to soaps that the FO turns the soap almost black and have been able to keep a fairly off-white (not stark white) bar of soap for longer than a year, sometime more, sometime many years. It will just depend on the concentration of the FO (I never go above 6%, but will drop down to 5% on the ones that discolor so badly)

Oh right! I totally forgot I could withhold the FO from part of the batter for no (or light) color! Thanks!

Yes, you can do that. In my experience the FO discoloration can sometimes bleed into the unscented part, so the "light" part might not stay nearly as light as you would want. This bleeding effect doesn't seem to be a consistent thing. It seems to happen more with one FO than others I've tried.

So, I'm thinking about trying this with an Ice Cream Parlor FO I have been waiting to use. I'm going to create layers like Neopolitan ice cream. It's the only way I can think of to use it and still get some color in it.

Back