Titanium Dioxide alternatives

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapDaddy70

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Can someone recommend a TD alternative from Mad Micas and/or Nurture Soaps. Those are my go to places for Micas. Not sure if it’s my recipe or other underlying factors but it seems like every time I use a larger amount of TD my soap is a little chalky/crumbly.

How much TD do you use, roughly? I use TD that is pretty-dispersed in safflower oil that I keep in a small squeeze bottle. I throw a few stainless steel bolts inside as well. Just give it a shake and it reincorporates the TD and oil. Usually I need a conservative squeeze and that’s enough. Hope this helps.

https://nurturesoap.com/products/winter-white-mica?_pos=1&_sid=0081e774b&_ss=r
I have that. I have never tried to use pure TD; particularly because the few things I've wanted a white for I have not WANTED the pure white you can get with TD. But I haven't had the chalky/crumbly problem you describe with my soaps using this. I've even mixed it with kaolin clay and gotten a nice apple flesh off-white.

I use Nurture's Winter White mica as linked in the prior post or Snow White mica from Mad Micas. They are very similar and I just buy from whomever I'm placing an order with when I run low. I haven't used TD in years because these micas are a really good alternative and so much easier to work with.
https://www.madmicas.com/collections/all-micas/products/snow-white-white-colorant
I'll have to check this out. I'm more than open to finding an alternative to TD.

How much TD do you use, roughly? I use TD that is pretty-dispersed in safflower oil that I keep in a small squeeze bottle. I throw a few stainless steel bolts inside as well. Just give it a shake and it reincorporates the TD and oil. Usually I need a conservative squeeze and that’s enough. Hope this helps.
I use Nurture Soaps TD and you are supposed to disperse it in water. It mixes very easily and I never have issues with mixing but I would still like to try some alternatives and see if I get better results.

Snow White mica from Mad Micas contains titanium dioxide.
From the Snow White Mica page: Ingredients: Fluorphlogopite (CAS 12003-38-2), titanium dioxide (77891)

Nurture Soaps list exactly the same ingredients for their Winter White Mica too.

I use titanium dioxide at a rate of 1 teaspoon per pound of oils and have had zero issues with it.

The recommended amount for the Winter White Mica is 3 teaspoons per pound.

Regarding Fluorphlogopite:
Synthetic Fluorphlogopite (also spelled Fluorophlogopite) is a fluorine substituted mineral composed of magnesium aluminum silicate sheets, weakly bound together by potassium. Synthetic Fluorphlogopite is used in a wide range of cosmetics and personal care products including bath products, eye makeup, lipstick, face makeup, as well as nail and skin care products.

I think I'll stick with good ol' titanium dioxide for whitening my soaps. Less expensive too. Four ounces of Winter White is $14.30, four ounces of TD is $6 or so.

Not hatin'... just sayin'. 😉 :thumbs:

Latest posts

Back