Titanium Dioxide alternatives

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

SoapDaddy70

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Can someone recommend a TD alternative from Mad Micas and/or Nurture Soaps. Those are my go to places for Micas. Not sure if it’s my recipe or other underlying factors but it seems like every time I use a larger amount of TD my soap is a little chalky/crumbly.

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
How much TD do you use, roughly? I use TD that is pretty-dispersed in safflower oil that I keep in a small squeeze bottle. I throw a few stainless steel bolts inside as well. Just give it a shake and it reincorporates the TD and oil. Usually I need a conservative squeeze and that’s enough. Hope this helps.

ImpKit

Certified Ocelot
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

I have that. I have never tried to use pure TD; particularly because the few things I've wanted a white for I have not WANTED the pure white you can get with TD. But I haven't had the chalky/crumbly problem you describe with my soaps using this. I've even mixed it with kaolin clay and gotten a nice apple flesh off-white.

cerelife

Reaction score
I use Nurture's Winter White mica as linked in the prior post or Snow White mica from Mad Micas. They are very similar and I just buy from whomever I'm placing an order with when I run low. I haven't used TD in years because these micas are a really good alternative and so much easier to work with.

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
I use Nurture's Winter White mica as linked in the prior post or Snow White mica from Mad Micas. They are very similar and I just buy from whomever I'm placing an order with when I run low. I haven't used TD in years because these micas are a really good alternative and so much easier to work with.
I'll have to check this out. I'm more than open to finding an alternative to TD.

SoapDaddy70

Reaction score
How much TD do you use, roughly? I use TD that is pretty-dispersed in safflower oil that I keep in a small squeeze bottle. I throw a few stainless steel bolts inside as well. Just give it a shake and it reincorporates the TD and oil. Usually I need a conservative squeeze and that’s enough. Hope this helps.
I use Nurture Soaps TD and you are supposed to disperse it in water. It mixes very easily and I never have issues with mixing but I would still like to try some alternatives and see if I get better results.

Professor Bernardo

Reaction score
Snow White mica from Mad Micas contains titanium dioxide.
From the Snow White Mica page: Ingredients: Fluorphlogopite (CAS 12003-38-2), titanium dioxide (77891)

Nurture Soaps list exactly the same ingredients for their Winter White Mica too.

I use titanium dioxide at a rate of 1 teaspoon per pound of oils and have had zero issues with it.

The recommended amount for the Winter White Mica is 3 teaspoons per pound.

Regarding Fluorphlogopite:
Synthetic Fluorphlogopite (also spelled Fluorophlogopite) is a fluorine substituted mineral composed of magnesium aluminum silicate sheets, weakly bound together by potassium. Synthetic Fluorphlogopite is used in a wide range of cosmetics and personal care products including bath products, eye makeup, lipstick, face makeup, as well as nail and skin care products.

I think I'll stick with good ol' titanium dioxide for whitening my soaps. Less expensive too. Four ounces of Winter White is $14.30, four ounces of TD is $6 or so.

Not hatin'... just sayin'. 😉 :thumbs: