Tips to get going

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenmarie82

Reaction score
When you first started making and selling soap, what exactly was your normal day like? Did you work on your soap for a full 8 hours, like a regular job or just when you found the time? What did you do to get it up and running? I have lots of different soaps but no one knows they're out there so they don't know to buy them. I email people about wholesaling but never get replies. And most people around me are not too keen on the idea of letting me place the soap in their stores. I can't do craft fairs right now because i have a 9 month old and it would be impossible for me to do that. I would appreciate any tips /advice you could give me on how to get this up and going. I've spent a lot of money on supplies and a lot of time perfecting my soaps and I want to make something out of it and not let it fall by the wayside.

business

You run a soap business like any other business. You have to decide who your market is, what you want to sell and what your sales targets are. Do you want to retail? Wholesale? Online? At craft shows?

You have to develop your business the way you want it. You can’t rely on anyone else to tell you what it should be or how it should look. That vision is yours. Sit down and write out your business plan.

What licenses do you need in your area? Do you have insurance? Do you have a marketing plan? Are you FDA compliant? You spend as much time building your business as you want to. Everyone is different. No one does anything the same way.

My suggestion is that you grab some books on launching a business, or check out some of the online resources and research how to get started. That is what most of the folks who come to this forum did.

Personally I spend between four to six hours a day on my business, after my “day” job and that’s by choice. My time commitment is greater during the holidays and contracts in the summer when folks are on vacation.

I decide how many shows to do each year and I decide what my company policies are.

So the short answer is that all the questions you’re asking are those you should ask yourself as you build your business.

jenmarie82 said:
When you first started making and selling soap, what exactly was your normal day like? Did you work on your soap for a full 8 hours, like a regular job or just when you found the time? What did you do to get it up and running? I have lots of different soaps but no one knows they're out there so they don't know to buy them. I email people about wholesaling but never get replies. And most people around me are not too keen on the idea of letting me place the soap in their stores. I can't do craft fairs right now because i have a 9 month old and it would be impossible for me to do that. I would appreciate any tips /advice you could give me on how to get this up and going. I've spent a lot of money on supplies and a lot of time perfecting my soaps and I want to make something out of it and not let it fall by the wayside.

My normal day includes a regular 8 hr job. After I get home, I work on whatever needs to be done for my business (which is still new) - making product, testing & developing new product, designing labels, packaging, researching, researching, & researching, testing, testing & more testing.

I have an etsy store, so I'm trying to compete with a trazillion other soapmakers & having a presence there as often as I can (at least 15 mins a day.) I've made 1 sale since I opened my etsy store & despite listing often & participating in the forums almost daily, I haven't made another sale there.

Some people have great success on etsy, I"m not. My best venue is craft fairs.

My main sales are at craft fairs, so I had to design my booth & displays (an on-going project as my business unfolds.)

You'll need to begin by researching what your licensing requirements are in your state, county & city. In my state, I had to get a Tax ID, because you can't sell without collecting sales tax here. I had to register my business name, & buy liability insurance. I still need to open a business bank account.

If you're dead serious about growing a business, you need to have basic bookkeeping skills. If you don't, start studying now.

Since, you can't do craft fairs, you will either have to beat the pavement to lasso those wholesale accounts, or have an on-line presence - website, etsy shop, ebay or something.

Don't rely on email as a means of contacting people to get accounts. Call them & try to get an appointment to see them in person. They will want to see what you're selling, not just read a description in an email.

Develop a game plan, if you can. For me, it's been flying by the seat of my pants. There's probably a better way to do it, but I'm LOVING doing it my way!!! :wink:

I don't look to my business as ever being my sole means of support. That's a choice I've made. I like the freedom of choosing which craft fairs I sell at, not having to meet anyone else's deadlines, & just gowing with the flow. That's just me.

I don't fret about my etsy shop not being productive. I can let it go when I don't want to devote any more time to it with no regrets. Maybe, if I'm patient, develop some photographic skills, develop a better presentation, it will take off.

Preparing for craft fairs takes up most of my spare time. Eventually, I'd like to have a website for my craft fair customers to go to, but in the mean time, I publish a calender of where I'll be in the coming months, so they know they can find me.

There are lots of ways to promote your business - business cards, a blog, newsletters, etc.

Go to the blogs & websites of other soapmakers to see what they're doing. The internet is a wealth of info.

I have a free accounting book for you if you want to pay shipping (i hope i never ever have to look at that mofo again).. that's a good place to start .. here's a good business plan .. but just as important as the business plan is your marketing plan ... i have the template .. so just e-mail if you'd like

Latest posts

Back