Tips on duping this (magnesium soap)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocoturtle

Reaction score
http://magnesoothe.com/magnesium_oil_soap.asp

MagneSoap with Patchouli oil, Orange oil, Carrot Seed oil, and Dead Sea Clay also contains the following ingredients that are incredibly beneficial to the skin/body: rice bran oil, water, coconut oil, palm oil, sodium hydroxide, castor oil, cocoa butter, dead sea clay, and naturally, Magnesoothe magnesium oil.

I can pretty much deduce the base oils based on reccomended usage.
I know that magnesium can attract moisture in soap so I'm hoping that by turning the magnesium into magnesium oil before hand will keep the bar from falling apart. Also, I'll be doing hot process so I can add the oil after it is cooked down.

Any other thoughts?

Oh, and I will be using my own blend of magnesium oil, not any proprietary product.

Last edited:
If I have no suggestions I shall forge on and tell you of my adventures. (I'm making it after church today, y'all)

Here's how they turned out after 1 day. No idea how the magnesium will hold up since it is so hydrophillic.

magnesiumsoap.jpg

What benefits does magnesium bring to the soap exactly? I can see taking magnesium internally but how effective is it going to be in a product that washes off.

That site has incredibly dubious health claims. Here's what is says about coconut oil:

Coconut Oil is an effective moisturizer on all types of skins. The benefit of coconut oil on the skin is comparable to that of mineral oil, but unlike mineral oil, there is no chance of having any adverse side effects on the skin. It also can delay wrinkles, sagging of skin, and other signs of aging. It also helps in treating various skin problems including psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema, acne, rashes, and other skin infections.

Coconut oil in CP soap is anything but moisturizing.

RBO, admittedly, is beneficial to "mature" skin.

I'm not sure if the magnesium will do anything in the soap but topical Magnesium is very very bioavailable. I put it on my whole family before we go to bed and we sleep far more soundly than we did before. Some people claim it is a miracle cure but, meh, it only cures you if you have the disease. I have some incredibly crunchy friends so I thought I would try this out and see how people liked it and if they found any benefit to it.

What benefits does magnesium bring to the soap exactly? I can see taking magnesium internally but how effective is it going to be in a product that washes off.

That site has incredibly dubious health claims. Here's what is says about coconut oil:

Coconut Oil is an effective moisturizer on all types of skins. The benefit of coconut oil on the skin is comparable to that of mineral oil, but unlike mineral oil, there is no chance of having any adverse side effects on the skin. It also can delay wrinkles, sagging of skin, and other signs of aging. It also helps in treating various skin problems including psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema, acne, rashes, and other skin infections.

Coconut oil in CP soap is anything but moisturizing.

RBO, admittedly, is beneficial to "mature" skin.

OH! I forgot. The reason I thought to make this soap was one of my friends told me that Magnesium oil helped her Keratosis Pilaris. So I looked to see if there were any soaps that successfully used Magnesium oil. Then I got a lot of buzz about the idea in a FB moms group I am in.

OH! I forgot. The reason I thought to make this soap was one of my friends told me that Magnesium oil helped her Keratosis Pilaris. So I looked to see if there were any soaps that successfully used Magnesium oil. Then I got a lot of buzz about the idea in a FB moms group I am in.

Hi Crocoturtle,

If you have any of these left, I would love to try one. I use Magnesium Oil on my skin & internally to help with me Diabetes Type 2, and I have always wanted to try a soap with it. Most people don't know that our skin has receptors that absorb Magnesium, which is why Ocean swimmers are so healthy as the ocean is rich in magnesium and they soak it up while swimming. Let me know and thanks. ;)

There's also some research out there that supports using magnesium (along with some other supplements) with children who suffer from autism. These children can easily get overstimulated from everyday situations. So a nice swish in the tub with some magnesium before bed proves very effective for some. I never thought about a soap containing magnesium. That would make it easier for children who take showers instead of baths. Please update us on your experiment, I would love to know how it turns out long term and also what your testers think of it.

Made it, turned out great

This has become my top seller. I really can't make enough of it.

I'm afraid of what would happen if I combined the magnesium oil and the lye so I add the magnesium oil after I cook the soap in hot process. So, the soap comes out a little "wet" feeling after a day in the mold. I leave the log out for another day before cutting and I don't wrap them for about a week. I have a buying club with many wellness-minded people and although I do NOT make any health claims I hear from many people that their skin is softer and when used in addition to magnesium oil applied directly to the skin, they sleep better.

I read about this maybe a year ago at Crunchy Betty, but need a refresher. This "magnesium oil" isn't really an oil, is it? Some water solution, right?

Mg soap isn't soluble in water by itself, although it can be emulsified by other ingredients in the soap. Olay bar contains some magnesium soap.

I realize this is late but I've just gotten back on my feet. I use magnesium in my milk bath which I use every 2nd day. I have a chronic condition that causes me great difficulty with sleep and tight cramping muscles. Since using the magnesium in the bath it has helped me a lot. I am very interested in the soap idea. My understanding, like Robert, is that it's a water solution, is this correct????
Would that mean I could make it up (the magnesium oil) and use it for the liquid for the lye in one of my soap recipes?

To answer the last two questions. Yes, magnesium oil is not a true "oil." It is a water solution which people call an oil because it feels oily on the skin. As far as using it as a lye solution, I have not tried this. I know that magnesium is a trace element in water and probably all our soap making supplies but I just worry about a volatile reaction between the sodium hydroxide and the magnesium chloride. I use a water discount and then add the magnesium solution after doing hot process.
If anyone has any chemistry knowledge who would assuage my concerns I do think you can get more magnesium into the bars if You use the solution as the lye liquid.

By including magnesium chloride in the lye water, you could end up with a batch of bars that are a blend of magnesium and sodium soaps. Magnesium soap is insoluble in water, and it is a part of the greasy soap scum in your bathtub when lye soap is used in hard water. By adding the magnesium salt after the cook, the chance of making a magnesium soap is much less.

If you try an experiment with including the magnesium "oil" in your lye solution, it's not going to blow up or anything like that. It's not a whole lot different than adding table salt (sodium chloride) to a soap batch, and people do that routinely. At best, the finished soap might be just fine. At worst, the soap will be unpleasant to use due to the insoluble magnesium soap.

Have you ever considered just adding the solid magnesium chloride (MgCl) directly in the soap to make something like a salt/spa bar? There's no magic to the magnesium "oil" quite frankly -- it's just a concentrated solution of MgCl in water. Solid MgCl is more soluble in water than table salt (NaCl), so MgCl should dissolve out of the soap bar as the person washes, and make an Mg and water solution as a part of the suds -- pretty much like table salt in a spa bar. At 20 C, solubility is 54.6 mg/g for MgCl vs 35.89 mg/g for NaCl, just so's you know.

This is just my opinion that is not supported by real experience, so take my musings with a grain of (magnesium) salt -- YMMV and all that.

Have you ever considered just adding the solid magnesium chloride (MgCl) directly in the soap to make something like a salt/spa bar? There's no magic to the magnesium "oil" quite frankly -- it's just a concentrated solution of MgCl in water. Solid MgCl is more soluble in water than table salt (NaCl), so MgCl should dissolve out of the soap bar as the person washes, and make an Mg and water solution as a part of the suds -- pretty much like table salt in a spa bar. At 20 C, solubility is 54.6 mg/g for MgCl vs 35.89 mg/g for NaCl, just so's you know.
It won't do that, because the rxn between Mg++ and soap in water is very fast. It'll be as if there were never any of the Mg dissolved in the water; it'll change into insoluble Mg soap immediately.

Soap is a really poor choice of vehicle if you want to get magnesium into water. For instance, if you use Epsom salt in bath water, you should not use soap in the same water.

This was really interesting to me. A few months ago I started having heart spasms then I read how low magnesium could cause it. I started taking supplements and the spasms stopped almost overnight. I also have migraines and insomnia, I'll have to look into making some of that oil and see if it helps me.

This was really interesting to me. A few months ago I started having heart spasms then I read how low magnesium could cause it. I started taking supplements and the spasms stopped almost overnight. I also have migraines and insomnia, I'll have to look into making some of that oil and see if it helps me.
I doubt that it would. Magnesium supplementation is a bit difficult, because our digestive tracts tend to reject Mg, as they do Fe, fortunately. Lots of Mg supplements exist with it in inorganic form; IMO, these are best used as laxatives, not supplements. The good supplements have the Mg complexed with an amino acid or other chaperone, rather than as an inorganic compound. Even the best absorbed ones are fairly inefficient, but they're all that work by mouth.

If this "oil" is anything other than a simple solution of a magnesium salt, it's not going to help you.

I've heard that MgSO4 is absorbed thru skin, accounting for the popularity of Epsom salt baths, but I've no idea how to control the dose that way. I have a feeling it's still very slow.

Just yesterday I had a bad experience that touched on this. In the morning I was terribly constipated from having been eating corn lately; too much insoluble fiber. To try to get over it, I took some of a salvaged mineral supplement; containing MgO, I'd've never bought it, but I kept it around as salvage for just such an occasion. Trouble was, too late. By the time it worked, I was over my problem and therefore had a new one: diarrhea. I foolishly decided not to postpone my 3/week dose of furosemide (a potassium-losing diuretic whose commonest brand is Lasix) and Klor-Con (a sustained-release potassium chloride supplement), because I didn't seem to be losing so much fluid, because it was clear and I was still distended so didn't feel it. So a few hours later I found myself in a cold sweat with an irregular pulse, and had to return home to take an extra half-dose of Klor-Con. I'm frequently on the edge when it comes to potassium, and the fluid and electrolyte loss had taken me over that edge.

Just my two cents on magnesium that the body can absorb through the GI tract, it's true, most don't absorb very well. I've worked in the supplement industry for five years now and I came across magnesium glycinate, which is bound to a type of salt if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, it absorbs very easily in the GI track and I sleep like a baby when I take 200 mgs with no laxative side effects. We also sell a lot of our magnesium oil.

Sent from my XT907 using Soap Making mobile app

I had to have my thyroid checked yesterday so I asked to have all my mineral levels checked as well. If I am low on magnesium, what would you guys recommond, a oral kind or the magnesium chloride "oil"? I'd love it if it actually helped me sleep, years of insomnia can really wear a person down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back