Tips for total noobs?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make soap in the laundry (my soaping room where everything is). I mix my lye in the sink there. I wouldn't want to carry lye around (disaster waiting to happen) so I don't bother mixing it outside.
I too prefer Soaping 101.

I like the nurture silicone moods.

I have large mesh pull out drawers to cure my soap. I line them with thin old linen t-towels to protect them from the metal even though they are coated.

I wear glasses and have spots left by batter right in the middle so no matter what you do always wear eye protection.

Working out your point of difference - whether it is natural as possible etc will help you decide on colours and additives. You need lots of thoughtful testers because everyone is different and good feedback (even negative) is important. Not everyone can use soap with fragrance in it.

Use water or oil from your recipe to mix colours and additives. Even 1 tsp extra can effect the final soap.

Last edited:
I actually don't particularly care for dollar stores for a lot of soap stuff. Their plastic spatulas don't stay flexible - they go hard and brittle. Better to invest in some silicone spatulas. Those little silicone ice trays they sell seasonally tend to bend and warp.

Latest posts

Back