Tips for Making Bigger Batches

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great post DeeAnna. This a clever idea and would definitely come in handy for someone that makes a lot of soap. I've been thinking of starting to buy oils in bulk and putting them in 5 gallon buckets. I've got a big block of lard that I pick off of and fill smaller containers. It's a PITA to constantly have to melt lard when I need some. It would be nice if it was already melted and I could just dip a ladle in and get some out. Same with the coconut oil and shea butter. (BTW: I love how it's "ONLY $85.00" I think I'll start a collection of 5 gal buckets and warmers. I wonder if my house will smell piggy though?)

I had the same problem when I sized up and mixed the large batch in a big stainless steel stock pot. So I decided to bring to emulsion then portion it into my 1 and/or 2 1/2 qt paint buckets, color, scent and pour from there. Smaller portions are much easier for me to deal with.

This is pretty much what I do as well. I got a whole stainless steel cook set (stew-type pots and lids) for $30. So far I have only had need to use the smallest for my soaping. I do make a double boiler out of them though (they have handles so the little pot doesn't fall in the big pot, plus I have BB's little metal thing you sit in the bottom of a pot. I can't recall the name of it).

I have plastic ice cream buckets and Manteca lard buckets (small ones) that do well for me. Those long-spouted measuring cups are on my wish list though,

I mix my colors directly in the bottom of my ice cream buckets by adding 1 Tbsp of oil to each tsp of colorant PPO as needed and just tilting up the bucket so it all goes in the corner. I'm one of those that can't waste a drop of colorant by mixing it in a small container then transferring, if at all possible.

I mix my colors directly in the bottom of my ice cream buckets by adding 1 Tbsp of oil to each tsp of colorant PPO as needed and just tilting up the bucket so it all goes in the corner. I'm one of those that can't waste a drop of colorant by mixing it in a small container then transferring, if at all possible.

This is what is confusing to me. You refer to using a "tsp of colorant PPO," but I'm not sure how to actually do that. What if the total batch of oils is 10 pounds and you are going to use 4 colors. But you're not going to use equal amounts of each color. Say you are going to use white as a highlight color and the others are going to be yellow, blue, and red. How do you decide on the amounts of each color to use? Is it based on the 10 pounds of oils so 10 tsp of each colorant or is it based on the amount of batter you divide them into? But if you actually weigh out the batter, then you have to include the lye solution in that weight. Or do you use a grand total of 10 tsp of colorant and divide it among the four pitchers. This is why I suck at color (as well as math; but since there's math involved...). I have just ordered a boatload of micas from different companies to experiment with. I'm going to have lots of colorful unscented soap. I'm also going to have lots of white scented soap to test out my boatload of FO samples. I need to learn to combine the two.

ETA: I did a search on "colorants" and found a thread from last month about pre-mixing colorants. Dibbles posted an awesome video that I just watched and it explained in little words and step-by-step exactly how to use colorants. My kind of video!! I missed that the last time I did a search. Thanks Dibbles!!

Last edited:
This is what is confusing to me. You refer to using a "tsp of colorant PPO," but I'm not sure how to actually do that. What if the total batch of oils is 10 pounds and you are going to use 4 colors. But you're not going to use equal amounts of each color. Say you are going to use white as a highlight color and the others are going to be yellow, blue, and red. How do you decide on the amounts of each color to use? Is it based on the 10 pounds of oils so 10 tsp of each colorant or is it based on the amount of batter you divide them into? But if you actually weigh out the batter, then you have to include the lye solution in that weight. Or do you use a grand total of 10 tsp of colorant and divide it among the four pitchers. This is why I suck at color (as well as math; but since there's math involved...). I have just ordered a boatload of micas from different companies to experiment with. I'm going to have lots of colorful unscented soap. I'm also going to have lots of white scented soap to test out my boatload of FO samples. I need to learn to combine the two.

You aren't alone in your confusion Teresa! It's not that I don't understand the "1 tsp ppo" math, it's that I never know what shade it's going to be once mixed. Sometimes I want the same color but in different shades. I'm in awe of people that can mix like TwystedPryncess, they just know how much they want and go for it. I'm much less scientific when it comes to color which is why I mix mine in little cups then add until I get the color I want. Since I eyeball most of my portions, I don't have a set amount before I color so that's an issue. Can't do the math when all portions are unknowns, lol. Sometimes I mix in a drop or 2 of another color to get a different thing altogether.

But I do do a bit of rounded off math to make sure I mix enough color beforehand. I look at my recipe's total batch weight and divide it in 3 or 4 so I have a ballpark of what amount I'll want to color. Since I'm so un-scientific about it, it's mostly a crap shoot for me. Some days I cut and think "Well that's awesome!" and other days I yell out loud "WHAT IN THE WORLD WAS I THINKING?" On those days pets and DH quietly slink away and hide.:twisted:

I heat mine in the microwave. I do not master batch in large buckets. I fill up to 10 of my buckets at a time with the same recipe put a lid on the bucket with reference to which recipe is in the bucket and store them on a rack. When I want to soap I get down a bucket melt in the microwave and I am ready to soap, since I masterbatch my lye.

I am also much less scientific with my coloring. I just use my pre-mixed colorant until I get the color I want. Granted no two batches will turn out exactly the same. Like KristyY I pretty much eyeball everything other than mixing lye and oils.

Belt Heaters like TOMH mentioned are much less. I just do not like dealing with 5 gallon buckets of melted oils. It always aggravates me when my palm and coconut oil melt in the summer. Which is why I batch my oils in my mixing buckets

Last edited:
This is what is confusing to me.

ETA: I did a search on "colorants" and found a thread from last month about pre-mixing colorants. Dibbles posted an awesome video that I just watched and it explained in little words and step-by-step exactly how to use colorants. My kind of video!! I missed that the last time I did a search. Thanks Dibbles!!

Can you list the links please?
I "need" to be scientific about it.
I would worry about keeping solid oils warm for long periods of time. Sound to me like it might lead to a rancidity issue? Not sure.

Last edited:
hi teresa,
Im not that great at math either! I divide the colors per total batch and the 1 tsp per ppo is a guideline really. So if I have a 2 pound batch of oils and I want to do 2 colors, I will put 1 tsp color in one bowl and 1 tsp color in the other. I also do not stick blend just in case I need to add more color. Sometimes I will start with just a half tsp, depending on the color or the size of the batch or my idea. I have definitely screwed things up before. But just to reiterate, that is a flexible starting guideline for me and so I hope that helps. :)

Latest posts

Back