Tips for Facial Cleansing Bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexlane

Reaction score
So, im trying to come up with a recipe for a bar of soap i intend to use as a face bar. i know everyone has different skin types but im more looking for a basic recipe (not looking to steal any ones secrets xD). And/or some tips on what NOT to do; things to stay away from. i know i really don't want coconut oil and id like to stay away from palm. I know they're they big two for big bubbles, but im not worried if the bars dont really suds.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated!

I also have mature skin and don’t use much soap on my face. I‘ve made the 100% OO version of Zany’s soap 3x now and find it to be very gentle. It’s also popular with my friends.

Here’s another recipe that’s popular on the forum for use as a facial/gentle soap. I believe I subbed in avocado oil for the soybean oil when I made it. It bubbles more than the 100% OO soap.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/gennys-shampoo-bar-recipe-and-question.75925

I highly recommend Gennys shampoo bar recipe for the face. I’ve been making it with a little tweak fro years and me and my customers love it. It’s gentle and long lasting.

I dislike any Castile, it makes my skin feel dry and tight. Everyone is different so you’ll have to fine what works best for your skin.

My other favorite soap for my face is a salt soap. I use it 2-3 times a week.

I like genny's shampoo bar too, its very gentle. Here it is. I usually sub the soy with more avocado since I don't use soy.

Avocado Oil: 30%
Castor Oil: 10%
Olive Oil: 40%
Shea Butter: 10%
Soybean Oil: 10%

I'm another one who dislikes Castile, doesn't matter in what form. It dries me out terrible.

Nother one who can't use much olive oil here..

I'm still currently testing a high rice bran oil with shea soap that looks promising. It has only 10% coconut..

A favorite of my mom n her friends, which I'm currently selling is high on all three butters - cocoa, shea and mango - and also RBO. Has no olive and also very little coconut. It does contain avocado..

thank you everyone for the support! im loving all the recipes and have the stuff to make all of them!

@Zany_in_CO this recipe looks great! and i love that you mention that its good for folks going through Chemo. this is the exact type of bar i've been wanting to make for my aunt who is battling breast cancer! Thank you!

it seems like the shampoo bar recipe is the most popular so far. think im going to try making them this week! Pix to come!

@Zany_in_CO this recipe looks great! and i love that you mention that its good for folks going through Chemo. this is the exact type of bar i've been wanting to make for my aunt who is battling breast cancer! Thank you!
You're so very welcome. Remember to leave out the fragrance when making it for chemo patients. ;)

@Zany_in_CO just got done making this castile recipe! looks great so far, behaved wonderfully. i did 4 bars unscented and uncolored. i may have misjudged my molds cause i had enough badder to fill another 6 bar mold. so i decided to try out the BB Gingerbread Cookie FO i got in tere holiday collection! it smells so increadable in my Apartment right now! wont be able to unmold these until Tuesday but will def post pictures!

I like genny's shampoo bar too, its very gentle. Here it is. I usually sub the soy with more avocado since I don't use soy.

I'm another one who dislikes Castile, doesn't matter in what form. It dries me out terrible.

Recipe looks good. Are you using 5% superfat?

Hello. I know this is an old post but wanted to chime in on it. Im looking for a face bar and was plugging in the above recipe. Do you know if this is good for combination skin? I have oily skin in the t-zone, but it can also be dry sometimes. and I've always wondered about this, but if the cleansing is 0, does the soap still clean?

it seems like the shampoo bar recipe is the most popular so far. think im going to try making them this week! Pix to come!

I just had 6 weeks of radiation after surgery and absolutely LOVE Zany's No-Slime Castille on my sensitive, tender skin. I make mine with aloe juice for water. I ran out so my newest batch was half water, half vinger, and it's lovely. I also used the no-slime as a bastille with a smidge of Sweet Almond Oil and that was really nice too. Never was a fan of olive oil soaps before Zany enlightened me. I do recommend gelling.

I just had 6 weeks of radiation after surgery and absolutely LOVE Zany's No-Slime Castille on my sensitive, tender skin. I make mine with aloe juice for water. I ran out so my newest batch was half water, half vinger, and it's lovely. I also used the no-slime as a bastille with a smidge of Sweet Almond Oil and that was really nice too. Never was a fan of olive oil soaps before Zany enlightened me. I do recommend gelling.
Best wishes for a good recovery!

Thank you for your kind words, Hope Ann. 😍
I also used the no-slime as a bastille with a smidge of Sweet Almond Oil.
One SMF member tried subbing 100 % almond oil for the OO. I think it worked, not sure. Memory isn't as good as it used to be. 😁 When I first started making castile soap, my mentor said that almond oil is the best sub for olive oil in castile soap. Might be worth a try next time you make a batch? :thumbs:

Thank you for your kind words, Hope Ann. 😍

One SMF member tried subbing 100 % almond oil for the OO. I think it worked, not sure. Memory isn't as good as it used to be. 😁 When I first started making castile soap, my mentor said that almond oil is the best sub for olive oil in castile soap. Might be worth a try next time you make a batch? :thumbs:

I'm intrigued by the 1 ingredient soaps and have read up on several different experiments with them. I have thought about an all SAO!

I just made Gennys bar last night (sub hemp for soy, add avocado puree and yoghurt powder) and a triple butter formula I created myself after studying others. Nice to finally have a little energy to play soap again. Now for the patience to wait for unmolding, first tests, and a proper cure!

Today is small batches of 100% RBO using your saltwater and another juice. (I master batched the water double strength so I can sub half the water for other liquids as they're fun to play with!) And also RBO with SAO (15%), and 70/15/15 Evo, CO, and SAO. Also I owe the man more shave soap (he had to buy some!) so making the one from the super long shave soap thread since he liked that and trying my own.

This forum is such an amazing source of ideas and inspiration and a wealth of knowledge. I rarely post but have read it for years and get so much from it. I was really in a funk last night and soaping brightened my mood way better than any anti-depressant.

Hope

Back