Tiny Travel Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking through to forums I found a few mentions of using metal tins to store tiny little one use soaps for travel, camping etc.
Does this cause dos or any other issues since it is metal?

Thanks,
Chris

Tin, as an element (Sn) should be safe for at least 6 months, if this report is accurate: Effect of containers on the quality of Chemlali olive oil during storage (I do trust this source, btw.)

According to that, olive oil kept in a tin container at room temperatures did not oxidize. Therefore, I would expect the same with soap with a superfat - no oxidation for up to 6 months. But does everyone use up their travel soap within 6 months? I don't know. I do, but people who travel less often, may not.

But you do mention 'one-use' soaps. My only experience with 'one-use' soaps was soap petals (paper-thin slivers of soap), which came in an envelope. I kept it in my purse for 'someday' use and they all disintigrated to powder before I ever used them.

In my opinion, a better option is to use small plastic soap travel cases, but the very small ones made for use with guest-sized soaps are very hard to find made of plastic. I have one that I bought (on eBay, I think, maybe etsy) many years ago; the perfect size to hold a guest size soap. I use it when I travel (which is frequently.) (Mine looks a lot like some of these in this listing on etsy. Mine is maroon, but has no logo on it like these do).

I think these on Amazon might also fit the bill (these small ones).

Thanks @earlene! I love the little boxes. Those are adorable. :)
Me too! 🥰
I would actually use them for molds to make the little soapies fit in.

When I first started soaping I ran into a sale on some cool plastic travel soap dishes at Walmart for 50¢ - $1. I bought them all!!! I worked out the amount of soap I needed to fill both tops and bottoms. I lightly greased them with mineral oil.

After they set up, I used a rubber band to hold them together and put them in the freezer for an hour. Took them out and left them on the counter for 5 minutes before easily unmolding them.

After a full 4-6 week cure, they shrank just enough to slip back into the travel soap dishes.

Sometimes I amaze myself! 😂

I want to make some single use soaps ... very tiny. I know a lot of people that travel and like to camp so single use is best.
When I did a lot of business traveling I couldn't stand the smell of the airport restroom soap. It made me not want to wash my hands for fear of smelling it all the way to my destination. I washed of course, but I hated it. So I decided to give single use a try with good smelling soap. :)

@Kcryss When I was living in Hong Kong I purchased a package of Paper Soap Sheets in a slim cardboard closure like a matchbook but about the size of a credit card that slipped easily into my purse. Very handy! I tried to make something similar but didnt have time to perfect it.

Check out this out for making DIY Paper Soap Sheets!

@Zany_in_CO I have checked into doing it that way and even bought the dissolvable paper. But then I thought about it a bit more and wondered why the paper would be needed. Maybe easier to make very thin? Might have to try it with CP, HP would be too thick. Sounds like a few experiments coming my way. :)

@Kcryss
wondered why the paper would be needed.
Good question. It's the easiest way to get stiff sheets to stack maybe? And get precise sizes and edges? I would use my Dr. Bronner's Liquid Soap dupe LS.

When I was messing around, I poured CP at VERY thin trace onto a stainless steel soup ladle and got exactly the "just soap" sheets I wanted, but not stackable. I hope that gives you some idea on how to move forward.

Oh, almost forgot. I also tried skimming hard bars with a cheese slicer that made very thin sheets -- that curled!!! 😂 They worked just fine in a ziploc but not what I was shooting for. 😜

Here is a really cool container for these single use soaps that I found on Etsy today:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/791412...sr_gallery-10-28&frs=1&organic_search_click=1
I saw another idea that made me realize I have hundreds of these: MP soap in plastic condiment cups with lids. Too big for single use soaps, and they would not survive my purse the way I knock it around when I travel, but an adaptable idea none-the-less.

I also saw some single use soaps in compacts (like we use to powder our faces, ladies, at least the older ones with the flip top & a mirror types is what I'm talking about.) That was a pretty cool idea, I thought.

One vendor sells larger slivers of round soap, but says to break off a quarter of the sheet for single use. That would work with your thin slices, @Kcryss .

BTW, I kept on looking because I am looking for a gift for my husband's upcoming birthday & decided that a vintage hotel soap case from Italy is the perfect solution, since we just were there and both want to live there now. So that's going to be one of his gifts this year to add to his ditty bag when we travel. I'll supply the soaps, of course.

I love the curls idea. lol :)
A potato peeler works well too. One of my wholesale customers would put out a plate of curls from their GM soaps for customers to sample. Smart lady.

Here is a really cool container for these single use soaps that I found on Etsy today:

So cute! I'm afraid if I had one of those in my purse, I'd end up with little flowers all over the bathroom floor. 😂

Yes. I have a bunch of those cutters from when we were working with soap embellishments, soap dough and creating fancy design soaps hoping to channel Vicki Frost (Black Cat Blues) gorgeous artistic soaps. My granddaughter & I had a lot of fun with it for awhile.

I could also use some of the little embeds saved up for future use, but with no real plan in mind, as single use (or maybe 2-3x) use soaps. I have thought of that in the past, but never looked for a container that would survive the beating my purse takes when I travel. I tend to sling it over my back, over chair backs, onto the back seat in my car, toss it on a table, etc. The only time it doesn't take a beating is when I remain at home and don't go anywhere.

Yes. I have a bunch of those cutters from when we were working with soap embellishments, soap dough and creating fancy design soaps hoping to channel Vicki Frost (Black Cat Blues) gorgeous artistic soaps. My granddaughter & I had a lot of fun with it for awhile.

I could also use some of the little embeds saved up for future use, but with no real plan in mind, as single use (or maybe 2-3x) use soaps. I have thought of that in the past, but never looked for a container that would survive the beating my purse takes when I travel. I tend to sling it over my back, over chair backs, onto the back seat in my car, toss it on a table, etc. The only time it doesn't take a beating is when I remain at home and don't go anywhere.
I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only purse abuser, lol. I tend to find a high quality one that's on sale, and then use it till it breaks. No time or inclination to change purses to match outfits, either. 😁

I have thought of that in the past, but never looked for a container that would survive the beating my purse takes when I travel. I tend to sling it over my back, over chair backs, onto the back seat in my car, toss it on a table, etc. The only time it doesn't take a beating is when I remain at home and don't go anywhere.
Too funny! I'm the same way. I finally stopped carrying a regular purse and use a purse backpack now. I sling it, fling it, drop it ... you name it. The only thing that doesn't happen is sitting it on a floor ... ewww :)

No time or inclination to change purses to match outfits, either. 😁
Same here. I am not a purse or shoe girl ... I don't match outfits and I don't have multiple colors of shoes to match outfits.

There has been a travel soap challenge (I think it was october 2018, but not sure) here on SMF. That might also give you a bit of inspo😉

What I remember from using the soaps I made for that challenge is that soaps with small surface areas don't lather well. I think that might be the reason for the paper sheets. They have more surface area and therefore lather better. A liquid soap also dissolves a bit easier than a solid soap (I think), which might be another reason. My single use soaps would never fully dissolve, no matter how tiny they were, which was a bit frustrating, because it meant I wasn't getting the amount of soap I wanted and was throwing out the majority of the travel soap after use.

What I remember from using the soaps I made for that challenge is that soaps with small surface areas don't lather well. I think that might be the reason for the paper sheets. They have more surface area and therefore lather better. A liquid soap also dissolves a bit easier than a solid soap (I think), which might be another reason.
This. Haha. Takes forever to wash your hand with a small soap piece... Maybe a syndet will work better?

I have a whole bottle filled with soap pieces in different sizes, cuts n shapes I keep meaning to use as one time use soaps but never gotten around to actually using, much less selling. Been testing which is the most viable...

I also figured I already sell too many things in tin cans (lotion bars and balms) and I don't think my customers would like a 3rd tin in their bags, even if its a different color lol

And yes, it's impossible to get paper thin slices by using a peeler or anything similar, and a lot of soap goes to waste if they're not paper thin but with a bigger surface area.. But putting used, wet soap back into any container with unused soaps is a no lol

How about confetti though? Been thinking of them this way... Put em in a shaker type thing and shake out a handful of soap when you need it?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back