Tin Containers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cambree

Reaction score
Hello. I am new to candle making and was thinking of melting some old left over candles from last winter. So far I have used only glass jars, but this time wanted to try tin containers. I have lots of tin left over from around the house. Such as cocoa powder tin, green tea containers, and even fruit cup tins. I'm just not so sure about the fruit cup tin. Will the wax burn well?

I tried to do some online search but didn't get much info. But I did find some neat pictures.

Photo from Norah'sLimited Candle Manufacturer. I want to try something like this since my green tea containers are about the same size.

Altoids Tin Emergency Candle by EaKLondon, more info found at Instructables.com

I like the idea of emergency tin candle, as I also have lots of empty Altoid tins around the house. I am just a pack rat sometimes. :lol:

Has anyone else tried using found (or recycle) tin containers with good luck? Such as pouring and burn rate. Thanks!

I collect tins from candles from friends when they finish all the time (along with the glass ones). The only problem I have found so far is not all tins are proper for holding a liquid. Some are made from a bottom and sides which are welded together and not always leak proof. Nothing a quick test can't determine before you've got hot wax all over though.

Love the altoids one. We keep our empties for screws/parts when we fix electronics as well as coin containers.

purple said:
Some are made from a bottom and sides which are welded together and not always leak proof. Nothing a quick test can't determine before you've got hot wax all over though.

I will have to look at the welding carefully then. Thanks for the tip.

purple said:
Love the altoids one. We keep our empties for screws/parts when we fix electronics as well as coin containers.

We do the same thing too! Tiny screws and small watch batteries. Plus coins. I also have small Altoid tin that I fill with handmade lip balm. :)

Latest posts

Back