Time for Zucchini Tricks

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I missed which forum this is thread in and read “soap” everywhere you wrote “soup” :)
For what it’s worth, I grate my zucchini and then squeeze out a lot of the liquid before I freeze it. It makes good zucchini bread in the middle of the winter when we’re past zucchini fatigue.
That's easy to confuse, I've done the same thing until I realize, no this would not make good soap!!

Perhaps, I'm a little technology challenged sometimes. It's not showing anywhere I look.
I'm at work and only have access to my phone.
I attempted to copy and paste but it's not working for me today.
But it does show up for me in the video description everytime I look.

I'm at work and only have access to my phone.
I attempted to copy and paste but it's not working for me today.
But it does show up for me in the video description everytime I look.
I have never seen that but a quick google showed me how to find the description both on mobile device and PC so I have the recipe.

Forgot to add the link:

Was going to post a picture but it says I don't have permission for that.
But I was gone out of town for work for a couple weeks and left instructions for my parents to come over and harvest whatever they needed out of my garden.
Apparently they only harvested a handful of zucchini and only gave a few away before giving up on them.
So yesterday I harvested an additional 23 zucchini that weighed a total of 100.2 lb.
I made some zucchini fritters, gave quite a bit away and will begin processing the rest here soon.

Oh! That sounds so delicious. I don't know how to sub for parmesan cheese. I would love it but I can't do dairy.

Unfortunately, I doubt there is one. Parmesan or rather parmigiano regianno (what Parmesan already subs for) is like bourbon in that it's region specific and pretty unique. There are substitutes for it but they're also cheeses. If you can't handle Parmesan, you could also try to get creative and play with some other foods altogether.

https://www.gourmetsleuth.com/ingredients/detail/parmigiano-regiano

In the summertime when overloaded with zucchini I grate lots and lots in the food processor, put 1 cup in sandwich baggies and put these baggies in a large ziploc bag for the freezer. Anytime I make soup through the year at least one baggie goes into it. It's flavorless so it fits in with anything and you have pretty little green specks in your soup.

Example of yesterday's soup:

chicken stock and meat
2 c. home frozen corn
fine soup noodles
1 baggie of zucchini thrown in after noodles are cooked

I like a brothy soup. Make it as thick or thin as you like it.
Maybe you could use some of the zucchini flowers in cooking too. They are yummy.

I grate a lot of zucchini and freeze it for breads and soups. I also spiralize it and then freeze it to use as a pasta replacement. I love to slice it and bread it with Italian breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese and fry it. I'll mix it in ground beef or ground turkey with asparagus and some taco seasoning. Grilled or fried with a bit of s&p and some basil. I love zucchini.

Try this recipe for making your own non-dairy Parmesan:
https://minimalistbaker.com/how-to-make-vegan-parmesan-cheese/
I have made this before and it tastes very much like Parmesan. It's really very good.

Earlene! I forgot! I have a vegan Parmesan recipe as follows:

1/2 c. raw almonds
1/2 c. raw cashews
1/4 c. nutritional yeast
1 t salt
1/2 t. garlic powder

Pulse all in food processor till parm consistency. This stuff is so delicious I like to eat it with a spoon. Nothing tastes like parmesan but it is a delicious sub.

Last edited:
Usually, when I have zucchini, I make this Zucchini Soup. It is really nice hot but it's even nicer served cold. It's become a birthday tradition (my birthday is in the middle of summer, at the height of zucchini season). It would be easy enough to make it vegan by switching out the chicken broth for vegetable broth.

Zucchini Soup
  • 2 lbs zucchini, washed, trimmed, and thinly sliced
  • 1 large onion, minced
  • 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 tsp curry powder (or to taste)
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice (or to taste.. I use the juice of 1/2 lemon)
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Sauté the zucchini and onion with the curry powder in the butter (or oil), covered, until soft. Add the chicken broth, and lemon juice. Add zucchini and onion. Purée the mixture in a blender until smooth. Transfer to saucepan; add salt and pepper to taste. Heat through to serve, or refrigerate and serve cold.

Serves 6-8

Usually, when I have zucchini, I make this Zucchini Soup. It is really nice hot but it's even nicer served cold. It's become a birthday tradition (my birthday is in the middle of summer, at the height of zucchini season). It would be easy enough to make it vegan by switching out the chicken broth for vegetable broth.

Zucchini Soup
  • 2 lbs zucchini, washed, trimmed, and thinly sliced
  • 1 large onion, minced
  • 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 tsp curry powder (or to taste)
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice (or to taste.. I use the juice of 1/2 lemon)
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Sauté the zucchini and onion with the curry powder in the butter (or oil), covered, until soft. Add the chicken broth, and lemon juice. Add zucchini and onion. Purée the mixture in a blender until smooth. Transfer to saucepan; add salt and pepper to taste. Heat through to serve, or refrigerate and serve cold.

Serves 6-8
I will try this, thanks!

Cream of Zucchini soup
https://www.aveggieventure.com/2007/08/cream-of-zucchini-soup.html

The creaminess comes from rice, not cream. Though there is some sour cream mentioned.

Also, whenever I make something with ground beef, I shred about 2-3 medium zucchini per pound of ground beef. It vanishes into tacos, meatloaf, etc and makes them moist.

Also this recipe:
Adapted from:
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/hearty-cabbage-soup/

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef (or venison)
1 medium onion, chopped
3-4 cups shredded cabbage (I like to cut in long, thin strips. Or use Angel Hair Coleslaw in the bag)
1-2 medium zucchini, shredded (cheese grater)
32 oz carton Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup (I get it at Costco)
https://thrivemarket.com/p/pacific-...MI6MnA356U5AIVRWSGCh2oTwKrEAQYASABEgIhHvD_BwE
1 4 oz can chopped green chilies
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (Cholula)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 tsp pepper
cottage cheese (optional)

In a soup pot, brown ground beef and onion; drain. (If using venison, brown in a little bacon grease or oil.) Add cabbage and zucchini - cook 8 minutes.

Add carton of soup, chilies, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.

Serve. Add a spoonful of cottage cheese to each bowl if desired.

If you want to use up zucchini, you could easily use less cabbage and more zucchini. I prefer it grated b/c I can pretend it is rice or noodles.

Latest posts

Back