Tide pool opals!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was going to call these salt bars “Tide Pool” which is my source of inspiration, but maybe they look more like opals. I managed to mix 4 portions of colored batter with uncolored batter. The batter was almost too thick to pour, but I like the effect.

ETA better photo!

C007F8F3-E370-401D-9537-0CF31B57868F.jpeg

Last edited:
I was going to call these salt bars “Tide Pool” which is my source of inspiration, but maybe they look more like opals. I managed to mix 4 portions of colored batter with uncolored batter. The batter was almost too thick to pour, but I like the effect.

ETA better photo!

View attachment 41005
These are gorgeous. I love the name. They do look like opals! My birthstone. :)

Very nice! My favorite is the second from left, bottom row hehe

Salt bars get thick fast, yes? I was worried when I made mine coz I was also mixing different colors.

Yours turned out great :)

Very nice! My favorite is the second from left, bottom row hehe

Salt bars get thick fast, yes? I was worried when I made mine coz I was also mixing different colors.

Yours turned out great :)
Thanks Dawni! I can’t pick a favorite because they’re all my kids, but I like that one, too. This particular recipe (from shunt) is really not bad, given everything I’ve read about making salt bars, but I forgot to get the lumps out of the salt before I added it to the batter. Duh.

Actually, opals come in a wide range of colors. I have one that is very white, some that are the colors of the soap and one that has a lot of flashes of red. These are not mine, but they sure are beautiful:

C213BE3B-9993-4361-B484-98D44988DF79.jpeg 6884C266-3ABD-4FEC-B974-148010A60670.jpeg

Latest posts

Back