Thyme EO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mommysoaper

Reaction score
I purchased some thyme EO ( a small amount) hoping to use it in some blends, but I think it stinks! I thankfully only ordered a couple of ounces but was wondering if there was anything I could blend it with? I hate to throw anything out, even a couple of ounces. I don't know why, but for me, when I sniff the thyme EO my gag reflex kicks in right away. It's tough to soap when you're gagging! My husband doesn't mind it, so i guess it's just me. What's thyme supposed to smell like? Is it possible mine has gone bad?

I would use it as a blender in herbal blends... definitely too strong to soap by itself. It works well with eucalyptus and lavender, in minute amounts.

I LOVE, love, love white thyme EO. It is definitely too strong by itself, but I too love it blended with eucalyptus and lavender, among my favorite blends. I've also found that if you use even a little too much it will accelerate LIKE CRAZY - I've ruined a couple batches by adding too much of the heady scent I love so much -- soap on a stick! Rebatched and made into felties. So sad, because it's crazy expensive right now :(

I got the minute part! :wink: Is there more than one kind of thyme EO? I don't have white thyme, or at least it's not labeled that way. It just says Thyme EO. I tried blending it with patchouli, rose geranium, and cananga. An odd assortment, I know but I was trying a couple of new ones I hadn't used before. I love the rose geranium by itself and the cananga's not bad. The thyme eemed to over power the other scents and gave a yucky note to it. I didn't add much but does the scent change a little after curing? I may just have to suck it up and try it! :smile:

Yup, there's red thyme (thymus vulgaris) and white thyme (thymus zygis). I've never tried the red. As for the white, I do think it smells a little like kitty pee out of the bottle, but it improves with curing :)

Thanks! I think I'll have to make a soap using the lavender, eucalyptus, thyme combo you all mentioned. Thanks so much! I don't want to toss out this EO!

paillo- just checked the latin names you gave with the supplier where I got the EO from and apparently it's red thyme. They only list it as thyme though. I'll still try to use it, but think I'll look for the white thyme in the future. thanks again!

Latest posts

Back