Thoughts on this recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacqueRose

Reaction score
I accidently ordered some soybean oil and was thinking of how to incorporate it.
25% Olive Oil
25% Lard, Manteca
25% Coconut Oil
15% Soybean Oil
10% Castor Oil
water: lye ratio 2.485 : 1 - no water discount
Ran it through SoapCalc and it seems to be good on all the numbers. But it takes forever to come to trace.

Opinions or thoughts are appreciated.

I would up the lard to at least 40 percent and lower the Coconut oil and Castor oil. You only need 5% castor oil and most but not all people find 25% CO to stripping /drying. What you lower in percentage you could add to the lard. I never go over 17% CO and usually I use even lower.
You are asking for opinions but it looks like you have already made the batch, since you mention it traces slow. Yes, OO and Lard both slow trace considerably. If you have any Palm it would be a nice addition

If you must use soybean, then perhaps 5%. Many people think it leads to faster rancidity, but there are others who like and use soybean oil. And I do suggest lowering castor to 5%.

I usually use about 5% Castor oil in my soap recipes. You might think about using rosemary oleoresin or EDTA in your recipe to prevent DOS.
"Two single additives stood out as effective against preventing orange spots. Figure 3 shows the color saturation for olive oil soap, one made with 0.1% EDTA and the other with 0.1% ROE. Both of them delayed the onset of orange spots beyond 250 hours in our artificial aging experiments. Under reasonable storage conditions, we expect the protective effect to last much longer. Food grade EDTA is available at low cost, and is quite suitable for those consumers who do not object to a synthetic preservative. For consumers who value natural ingredients, look for ROE that is high in rosemarinic acid. The combination of 0.1% EDTA and 0.1% ROE is even more effective. With these preservatives at their disposal, makers of handcrafted soap can continue to use unsaturated oils without suffering the blight of the Dreaded Orange Spots."

Source: http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.co...les/Orange-You-Glad-The-Chemistry-Of-DOS.aspx

I would up the lard to at least 40 percent and lower the Coconut oil and Castor oil. You only need 5% castor oil and most but not all people find 25% CO to stripping /drying. What you lower in percentage you could add to the lard. I never go over 17% CO and usually I use even lower.
You are asking for opinions but it looks like you have already made the batch, since you mention it traces slow. Yes, OO and Lard both slow trace considerably. If you have any Palm it would be a nice addition
Thank you. I did a small test batch to see and took forever to get to a light trace. Might be nice to have that much fluidity if I was doing a corner pour! Thank you for the ideas.

Back