Thoughts on the Leucidal preservatives?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was on the Lotion Crafter website recently and came across their Leucidal preservatives. This was the first I've heard of these, but I'm very intrigued by the fact that they are naturally derived and do not include parabens, formaldehyde, or phenoxyethanol. I would love to move to a more natural preservative, but I can't seem to find any reviews on these yet; I think they are a newer preservative. Has anyone here tried any of the different Leucidal preservatives yet? If so, I'd love to hear how it went for you! Thanks!

I haven't used the Leucidal preservatives, because I've heard from many sources (online) that their products are not working completely/failing challenge testing.
However, I've noticed that most suppliers are recommending AMTicide Coconut as a secondary preservative for those utilizing Leucidal. I haven't heard many results at all for those that utilize both preservatives, so I'm curious if perhaps this is a more viable option.
ETA: WSP now has 4 different versions of Leucidal available, so maybe they have made some additional strides with this preservative since initial reports.

I have also heard that these preservatives aren't great and to get them to work you need to also follow a hurdle approach to preserving your product (e.g. chelating agent, low water activity, correct pH, glycols, pump packs etc). Also avoiding ingredients like aloe vera that are more likely to be bug food is important.

I think that they could work under the right conditions but unfortunately they aren't just an easy replacement product for standard preservatives.

Latest posts

Back