Thoughts on Lye Solution

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MommaSoaper

Reaction score
I was going to make a 22lb slab last week. Got all the ingredients ready but then got pretty tired so decided to wait to make it. Then company came to town and next thing you know, days have gone by. I only covered the lye Solution about half way into this. I have the time now to make it but am thinking I may need to start over on my lye Solution. It looks like some of the water evaporated. (Photos for reference) The sides of the jug look like Lake Mead. There are also quite a few white floaters.

Should I weigh, add some water, strain and use? Or just start over with the solution? It's a pretty big batch....
IMG_20221003_123309120.jpg
IMG_20221003_123258103_PORTRAIT.jpg

Sorry, but lye solution should always be covered as soon as possible after making it. As you can see, much of the NaOH has been converted to sodium carbonate (soda ash) due to exposure to the air.

Unless you want to go through the process of testing this solution to determine the strength, you won't know how much it has degraded, and thus, how much extra superfat will be in your soap. Making a new batch is the best option.

The good news is that you can use this batch to clean your drains. :)

Last edited:
Sorry, but lye solution should always be covered as soon as possible after making it. As you can see, much of the NaOH has been converted to sodium carbonate (soda ash) due to exposure to the air.

Unless you want to go through the process of testing this solution to determine the strength, you won't know how much it has degraded, and thus, how much extra superfat will be in your soap. Making a new batch is the best option.

The good news is that you can this batch to clean your drains. :)
Thank you for responding. Must have been pretty tired to leave it uncovered but lesson learned! I just made a new batch. My drain is going to be the cleanest it's been in awhile, lol 😂 Again, thank you for your quick response and your wisdom 🧼❤️

Thank you for responding. Must have been pretty tired to leave it uncovered but lesson learned! I just made a new batch. My drain is going to be the cleanest it's been in awhile, lol 😂 Again, thank you for your quick response and your wisdom 🧼❤️
I've had my share of clean drains, too. 😝 Last winter, I made two consecutive batches of MB lye solution, and couldn't figure out why they were crystalizing into lye ice at the bottom... until I was typing an answer to someone else here on SMF about how a 50-50 lye solution will start to precipitate out when the temp drops below 65F... and I realized that our house is regularly 62F at night during the winter. Doh! 🤦‍♀️

I've had my share of clean drains, too. 😝 Last winter, I made two consecutive batches of MB lye solution, and couldn't figure out why they were crystalizing into lye ice at the bottom... until I was typing an answer to someone else here on SMF about how a 50-50 lye solution will start to precipitate out when the temp drops below 65F... and I realized that our house is regularly 62F at night during the winter. Doh! 🤦‍♀️
Wow, I didn't know that either! Makes sense then to get the warmer containers when I start master batching. I'm just now breaking into these larger batches so these weren't really concerns before. Thank you for sharing. It's super helpful!!!!

Back