Thoughts on adding Quick or Instant oatmeal to cold process?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pamela Carver

Reaction score
I have always thought it is not a good thing to use quick or instant oatmeal in cold process soap. Not sure where I learned this and unable to find any confirmation online about it. Does anyone know the facts to support or not support this belief of mine? I have only used whole oats (colloidal) and I have never experienced any negative results. This may have been a melt and pour thing I ran across, or I may just be mistaken.

I use Earth's Best Organic Whole Grain Baby Oatmeal in mine, which I guess you could consider to be of the quick variety since all you do is mix it with milk or breastmilk and it's ready to be eaten right away. Anyway, I've been using it as my go-to oatmeal for years in my oatmeal soap and I love it because it's not scratchy to my skin.

IrishLass :)

I think it's not the best idea to use rolled oats or Irish oats on or in soap because the chunks are too big and can mold. I've seen rolled oats used as a topping on soap and they had a colorful coat of mold. But finely ground oats IN the soap are fine.

I have a bar I make that I use whole oats in, and they have never become moldy. Maybe because it is a rebatch soap but really do not know. They also do not get mold in the shower and we have used them for several years, since they are my husbands favorite soap after DB soap. In all my other oatmeal soaps I use oat flour

Instant or quick oats are exactly the same as regular oats - just milled thinner so they absorb water more quickly. Exactly the same nutritional value as well!

I’ve only used regular oats since that’s what I have in the cupboard. I grind them to a powder. Can’t speak to any other kind but I imagine they perform the same.

Latest posts

Back