Thought I'd developed the "Soaper's Yips"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commoncenz

Reaction score
I was a little dispirited about my DFO Challenge soap. Actually, that soap and the one before (using The Candlemaker Store's "Autumn Harvest") both discolored waaaay more than I thought. I was beginning to think I'd developed a case of the "yips" when it came to making attractive soap. So, I made a batch of soap using Mike's "Issey Miyake" (a wonderful fragrance) and swirled using a modified wall and hanger swirl .... Then worked on my label this morning and cut my soap at the 18 hour mark (couldn't wait a full day).

Actually, the soap was cut by my son, who usually is ambivalent about the soap making process. I think he was hoping these came out ugly too. Because he had his camera by his side and ready to snap a pic of my reaction after the first cut. When I smiled, he took the picture, looked at it and said it didn't come out well and there was no sense in taking another as: "the moment has passed Dad and we don't want a 'fake' looking picture."

First pic is the label. The other pics are the soaps I made. The soap pictures were laid out and taken by my son.

Cover.JPG

12048509_1196932586989396_423081905_n.jpg

Soap M.jpg

WP_20150919_012.jpg

WP_20150919_013.jpg

Thank you both for your kind words. It feels good to make a soap that you like how it looks .. lol Oh well, on to attempt #2 for the challenge!

The soap is lovely. The label is PERFECT! That is very much something that I would reach for. I like the concept as well as the art. Wow, I just keep looking and looking at it...

Funny thing is that I would have never thought of labels for gift soaps if it wasn't for most of you. I would have happily just wrapped the soap in newspaper or something, wrote the fragrance on the outside and handed it over. However, having seen the fantastic labels made by soapers on here who don't sell, I just had to give it a try ... and another ... and another. lol

So thank you for your kind words and for providing inspiration ... and tutorials!

Back