Thought I would jump on the bandwagon.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I thought I would jump on the bandwagon and give a go at these salt bars that everyone raves about.

So I did some reading and came up with this recipe.

25% Crisco (6 ounces) (170 grams)
50% Coconut Oil (12 ounces) (340 grams)
4% Caster Oil (.96 ounces) (27 grams)
15% Unrefined Shea Butter (3.6 ounces) (102 grams)
6% Mango Butter (1.44 ounces) (41 grams)

Lye (3.61 ounces) (102 grams)
Total Liquids (9.12 ounces) (259 grams)
SPLIT BEWTWEEN
Aloe Juice 129 grams
Concentrated (canned) Goats Milk 129 grams

Fragrance Oil (1.32 ounces) (37 grams)

Table Salt (12.56 ounces) (356 grams)

And this is what it turned out like in my mold.
SoapBarLoaf.gif

My dad was going to make me some wood molds for Christmas but a neighbor was in a bad farming accident and lost his hand (or part of it) and so my parents stepped in to get his grain to the elevator so he could meet his deadline for contracted grain while he was in Minneapolis for medical care.

So I made due with a box mold until my dad has time to get my molds made up for me.

What i'm unsure about is the amount of salt that I added. Was it to much, not enough or will it be ok ?

It happens on a rare occasion, or when someone gets super sick, or has another accident (like another neighbor who had a non-farming injury that he's still recovering from)

But around here, when someone can't due to accident or illness (heart attack, etc) the neighbors step in to help out. Even if it means using their own equipement and fuel etc. It's awesome to see.

A couple of years ago a good friend of ours and neighbor was out camping and a bad storm blew through and a huge tree fell on him. He's lucky to be alive. And it broke his back (but he recovered) and mangled one arm (to which he's still working to get back after nerve replacement surgeries or something or another) but the neighbors stood up to help out and get his crops off his fields and in bins or to the elevator. It's awesome to see a bunch of combines going at once in a field and the ladies comming together to feed everyone. (if they aren't driving a combine that is.) LOL

How people treat each other out by you Kris is a big benifit, even if you have to drive an hour to town.

Where I live "in the city" about the only company I get is when the police come over to see what I cooking up that day. Then they don't want leave. My neighbors call them at the drop of a hat.

Faithy

That mold looks cool, I too use what ever I can get a hold of, Anyway my question.. It looks like you used about 50% salt to oil weight, How did it effect the trace and was it really thick to pour? You say Table salt.. is that Just regular food salt (ionized)? Your soap has a great color.

Faithy, your salt % is OK. I use 80% of my weight oils as salt in my recipe. The main thing I observe about your recipe is that I don't think you'll get many bubbles from it. It should be great conditioning, but kinda like lotion with only 50% coconut oil. Most people use 75% Coconut Oil or I use 50% Coconut and either 25% Palm Kernel or 12.5% Babassu Oil and 12.5% Palm Kernel Oil. Since salt kills the bubbles, that is why you need such a high percentage of bubbling oils like one or all three mentioned above. The Shea is used to condition since it has the highest percentage of unsaponifiable value units to it than any other known oil or butter, Kpangnan being second. Tell us how you like it. I hope you cut these soon as they get as hard as bricks! :shock: :lol:

Paul.... :wink:

faithy said:
I thought I would jump on the bandwagon and give a go at these salt bars that everyone raves about.

So I did some reading and came up with this recipe.

25% Crisco (6 ounces) (170 grams)
50% Coconut Oil (12 ounces) (340 grams)
4% Caster Oil (.96 ounces) (27 grams)
15% Unrefined Shea Butter (3.6 ounces) (102 grams)
6% Mango Butter (1.44 ounces) (41 grams)

Lye (3.61 ounces) (102 grams)
Total Liquids (9.12 ounces) (259 grams)
SPLIT BEWTWEEN
Aloe Juice 129 grams
Concentrated (canned) Goats Milk 129 grams

Fragrance Oil (1.32 ounces) (37 grams)

Table Salt (12.56 ounces) (356 grams)

And this is what it turned out like in my mold.
SoapBarLoaf.gif

My dad was going to make me some wood molds for Christmas but a neighbor was in a bad farming accident and lost his hand (or part of it) and so my parents stepped in to get his grain to the elevator so he could meet his deadline for contracted grain while he was in Minneapolis for medical care.

So I made due with a box mold until my dad has time to get my molds made up for me.

What i'm unsure about is the amount of salt that I added. Was it to much, not enough or will it be ok ?

You made a recipe with 24 oz of oils and 12.5 oz of salts which is about 50%. I think you should be ok. I use the same amount of salts as I do oils. Everyone does it a bit different and uses different amounts.

A good salt recipe to try is 90% coconut oil, 5% shea and 5% castor. It is very simple and easy peasy.

they are still warm, so i'll cut them soon!!!

how does Kpangnan oil compare to coconut oil. What are the benefits to using kpangnan oil rather than the coconut oil.

it was great to pour out, and to work with. I didn't add the salt till trace and then mixed it well with the fragrance oil that I added. And yes it was just regular table salt with iodine.

The mold works great until i get my wooden ones from my dad. LOL And I add a bit of tape to help keeps it's shape. But it's 3" wide and 12" long, so it's a nice size to work with. Gotta love recycling those priority mail boxes when I get them with my purchases inside them.

faithy said:
they are still warm, so i'll cut them soon!!!

how does Kpangnan oil compare to coconut oil. What are the benefits to using kpangnan oil rather than the coconut oil.

it was great to pour out, and to work with. I didn't add the salt till trace and then mixed it well with the fragrance oil that I added. And yes it was just regular table salt with iodine.

The mold works great until i get my wooden ones from my dad. LOL And I add a bit of tape to help keeps it's shape. But it's 3" wide and 12" long, so it's a nice size to work with. Gotta love recycling those priority mail boxes when I get them with my purchases inside them.

Two totally different uses! Kpangnan is used like Shea would be used, as a conditioning butter to help against the itches the coconut oil produces in this high a percentage, Coconut, Babassu, and Palm Kernel are the 3 cleaning and bubbling oils in the soap makers oils arsenal.

Paul...

Latest posts

Back