Those of you who use tank-like wire cutters....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soap_rat

Reaction score
I'm making one for myself, but when I got it put together well enough to use, it couldn't cut through the soap loaf.

I thought it's because it took me a day or two more than I'd planned to get it put together, so the soap was too stiff. However when I used my knife to cut it, it cut easily.

Is it typical to have to slice the soap within a day or two of pouring it,

Or do you think I need to look at something else, (perhaps my wire tension or something?)

Thanks!

I have a tank. I usually cut within 48 hours. It is a little more difficult but not impossible if I wait a few days longer.

I don't use mine for salt bars, but it cuts through everything else. I usually cut at 24-48 hours, also.

Hi soap_rat, how is your homemade wire cutter working out? I was wondering if you have the kinks straightened and if you might be willing to share the plans or at least some tips. My DH says he will make me one for XMas. TIA for any help.

CaraBou, I just saw this, I will work on an answer tomorrow!

Last edited:
My hubby made my wire cutters and I do cut salt bars with mine. We tried a few different wires before settling on the wire that works the best. In 2 yrs I have not have a wire break and I cut some pretty hard bars. Granted, the hubby has had to tighten the wires a few times when I have cut really hard salt bars.

My husband made mine as well. He also made a couple others and did try to sell them but couldn't get a decent price for them so he stopped. I've had mine for over two years and have never broke the wire either. I generally cut between 24-48 hours.

Yes, on tightening the wires. I do this before each cut, to make sure each is tight enough and ready for the cut. I've had batches that were too hard to cut (high palm recipes), the cutter still manage, but it left nasty marks on each bar that i gotta clean up using knife and cotton cloth.

I would share if I could. But DH didn't work from plans, he just worked from Internet visuals. He is good that way. I may be spoiled, but just for the record, it comes with a cost -- we have no workshop so our garage is a saw-dusty mess! No storing soaps out there like some of the rest of you do!

Back