This turned out to be an ugly soap.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I could not wait to try this fragrance, which is Sensual Secrets from Elements. It smells like Kathy Millers Sandalwood Vanilla that i used to order from her years ago.

I used what has become my base recipe. Nothing exciting going on. Instead of coloring the lightest part with TD, i used kaolin clay cause i wanted to keep it a more creamy color.

Brown dioxide and Spicy Tomato from Mad micas. And something new i tried was the gold mica swirl on top.

i did get a “rind” when i cut it, but it all evened out.

I shoulda went with the TD. I guess the FO discolored.

i hate this soap lol. It smells nice lol. Its so ugly lol.

Attachments

• 3F4FB0A9-C2FE-4687-845A-F1B52B743E79.jpeg
    3F4FB0A9-C2FE-4687-845A-F1B52B743E79.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 131
Not ugly at all. I think the browns and red go well with a sandalwood scent.

I have one FO that getseta as dark as dark chocolate. It smells amazing but it makes brown lather and is messy.

We're always our own worst critics, aren't we? No matter how ugly you *think* your soap is, there's always someone who will like it. It amazes me how I can't seem to make "pretty" soap to save my miserable life, yet everything else about it is absolutely wonderful -- fabulous lather, great scent, nice and hard, etc, etc. :( How does that happen??? I guess, in the grand scheme of things, I'd rather have "good" soap than "pretty" soap, but why can't I have both?

I would be more than happy to make a soap like that, @Catscankim ! It would definitely be an improvement for me.

Last edited:
I could not wait to try this fragrance, which is Sensual Secrets from Elements. It smells like Kathy Millers Sandalwood Vanilla that i used to order from her years ago.

I used what has become my base recipe. Nothing exciting going on. Instead of coloring the lightest part with TD, i used kaolin clay cause i wanted to keep it a more creamy color.

Brown dioxide and Spicy Tomato from Mad micas. And something new i tried was the gold mica swirl on top.

i did get a “rind” when i cut it, but it all evened out.

I shoulda went with the TD. I guess the FO discolored.

i hate this soap lol. It smells nice lol. Its so ugly lol.
No it’s not. It’s the kind of color scheme and pattern I’ll use for a masculine soap line.

I think it looks great and your swirls are gorgeous!
I actually make something similar - on purpose :)
Like Obsidian - I have an FO that I love but it discolors to a deep dark chocolate color and I pour out about an eighth of my batter before I add the FO. That portion is colored with Mad Micas Angry Rose mica. Once I add the FO I pour out another eighth of the batter and add Mad Micas Wicked mica + Sparkle Plenty. Those are my swirl colors in this super dark brown soap - a deep dark pinky red and a glittery black. I call it Nosferatu.

Posting this for solidarity, because I relate to much of your soaping experience I think, @Catscankim

This is my "ugly soap" (seriously what I called it as soon I saw the discoloring). I COMPLETELY forgot about the vanilin % of my FO (Black Amber and Lavender)

It smelled amazing at the time. Now, 4 months later, barely any scent. So it discolored for nothing.
I like to call it "Mistakes Were Made" lol.

Attachments

• 20201014_023230.jpg
    20201014_023230.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20201014_023245.jpg
    20201014_023245.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20201014_023251.jpg
    20201014_023251.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20201014_023443.jpg
    20201014_023443.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 28
It's HORRENDOUS. LOL.
The colors, the top, the weird marks my cutter made. :rolleyes:
And to add to it's weirdness, the bars don't smell like much.When I used it (just now) to test it(I need to take testing notes anyway),the lather didn't smell like anything but soap.
And then... 5 minutes later, my hands smelled like the scent.

I...
just.
What?

PS- I absolutely, 100% want a bar of this soap you made @Catscankim .
Gimme.
tenor.gif

Oh, we should do a soap swap. Like a fun "soapy fails" swap. Soap that is still perfectly useable but didn't meet your own standards.
We can do that LOL

this smells like sandalwood vanilla. the FO isn't named that. I have to look it up. But it totally smells like Sandalwood vanilla.

I’m with @Zing - these look like nice manly bars to me.

Y’all are way too hard on yourselves and should not feel embarrassed to give the soap to someone who wants it. You are kind of insulting their taste if they say they like it, and you then say it is too ugly. 😂

Latest posts

Back