Quantcast

This turned out to be an ugly soap.

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could not wait to try this fragrance, which is Sensual Secrets from Elements. It smells like Kathy Millers Sandalwood Vanilla that i used to order from her years ago.

I used what has become my base recipe. Nothing exciting going on. Instead of coloring the lightest part with TD, i used kaolin clay cause i wanted to keep it a more creamy color.

Brown dioxide and Spicy Tomato from Mad micas. And something new i tried was the gold mica swirl on top.

i did get a “rind” when i cut it, but it all evened out.

I shoulda went with the TD. I guess the FO discolored.

i hate this soap lol. It smells nice lol. Its so ugly lol.

Attachments

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, i knew this was going to be a practice soap with the hanger anyway lol

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knowing it was a discoloring fo I think they turned out really pretty. Did you add some of the fo into the lighter part also?

Obsidian

Reaction score
Not ugly at all. I think the browns and red go well with a sandalwood scent.

I have one FO that getseta as dark as dark chocolate. It smells amazing but it makes brown lather and is messy.

Steve85569

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I embrace the discoloration and make swirls with it. Starts out all cream colored but as they cure the swirls just magically appear.

I like your soap!!
Even if it didn't come out as planned.

PieBorg

Reaction score
We're always our own worst critics, aren't we? No matter how ugly you *think* your soap is, there's always someone who will like it. It amazes me how I can't seem to make "pretty" soap to save my miserable life, yet everything else about it is absolutely wonderful -- fabulous lather, great scent, nice and hard, etc, etc. :( How does that happen??? I guess, in the grand scheme of things, I'd rather have "good" soap than "pretty" soap, but why can't I have both?

I would be more than happy to make a soap like that, @Catscankim ! It would definitely be an improvement for me.

Last edited:

ShySoaper

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could not wait to try this fragrance, which is Sensual Secrets from Elements. It smells like Kathy Millers Sandalwood Vanilla that i used to order from her years ago.

I used what has become my base recipe. Nothing exciting going on. Instead of coloring the lightest part with TD, i used kaolin clay cause i wanted to keep it a more creamy color.

Brown dioxide and Spicy Tomato from Mad micas. And something new i tried was the gold mica swirl on top.

i did get a “rind” when i cut it, but it all evened out.

I shoulda went with the TD. I guess the FO discolored.

i hate this soap lol. It smells nice lol. Its so ugly lol.
No it’s not. It’s the kind of color scheme and pattern I’ll use for a masculine soap line.

cerelife

Reaction score
I think it looks great and your swirls are gorgeous!
I actually make something similar - on purpose :)
Like Obsidian - I have an FO that I love but it discolors to a deep dark chocolate color and I pour out about an eighth of my batter before I add the FO. That portion is colored with Mad Micas Angry Rose mica. Once I add the FO I pour out another eighth of the batter and add Mad Micas Wicked mica + Sparkle Plenty. Those are my swirl colors in this super dark brown soap - a deep dark pinky red and a glittery black. I call it Nosferatu.

Arimara

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really just want to see how it looks now. I like discoloring FOs because it helpt to highlight the changes going on in soap for me. It helps if the FO smells great.