This makes me cringe!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Love the soap she makes - but the mess made totally freaks me out! All those dripping jugs, drops all around the mould, and on the worktop. The whacking of the spatula and the stick blender on the side of the jug which I'm sure splashes batter everywhere.
I might have a bit of your OCD @hungryhawaiian ;) - I would hate to have all this mess while soap making. I barely spill a drop, or make a splatter on the side of the mould. The only exception was that granite soap I made for the Feb challenge - in which I passed all the colours through a colander. That was quite messy - which is why I will never make it again. I don't like mess!
Totally anal soapmaker, me!

Whenever we watch her or Ophelia my 3 year old says “God mom, she’s so messy!”. Thankfully he’s never around to see me make soap (for the obvious safety reasons... but also the apparent harsh judgement).

I am something of a disaster when it come to soaping. I can make a mess in a completely empty room so you can imagine what I can do with micas and a bunch of cups with soap in them and trying bizarre pours. Actually, you probably can't really imagine what I can do because I surprise even myself sometimes.

I'm not the tidyest soapmaker, nor the messiest. I know some soapmakers used to not scrape the bottom of the soap bowl because all the lye liquid might not be entirely mixed in, and you could get a spot of un mixed lye in yer soap.

That person is by far not the messiest soapmaker. Not by miles. Does anyone remember soap maker soapmaker Nancy on youtube? She is/was the messiest soapmaker I've ever seen.

There is alot going on here. But there isn't much that anyone can do but her. First she has no gloves. 2nd yes she is a mess but lots of ppl make a mess. She's the one that has to clean it up. More work for her and he equipment ( molds) need to be cleaned up. But more importantly - if she sells she is not respecting that others are going to use the soap and she should at least keep things clean. I'm very conscious of that when making anything. I do observe techniques that keep me mindful of cleanliness.

Love the soap she makes - but the mess made totally freaks me out! All those dripping jugs, drops all around the mould, and on the worktop. The whacking of the spatula and the stick blender on the side of the jug which I'm sure splashes batter everywhere.
I might have a bit of your OCD @hungryhawaiian ;) - I would hate to have all this mess while soap making. I barely spill a drop, or make a splatter on the side of the mould. The only exception was that granite soap I made for the Feb challenge - in which I passed all the colours through a colander. That was quite messy - which is why I will never make it again. I don't like mess!
Totally anal soapmaker, me!

I’m getting better organized each time. Too much chaos causes mistakes. I’ve learned to keep a sink full of hot, soapy water and a disposable wash cloth at the ready. I try to pre-mix all my colors and EOs mixed (and put the bottles, etc. away) before the oil/lye reaction begins. I keep my lined mold and swirling tools together and off to the side until needed. Most, Importantly, I walk through the entire process, including a “Plan B” for acceleration, right before I add the lye water.

..I’ve learned to keep a sink full of hot, soapy water and a disposable wash cloth at the ready. I try to pre-mix all my colors and EOs mixed (and put the bottles, etc. away) before the oil/lye reaction begins. I keep my lined mold and swirling tools together and off to the side until needed. Most, Importantly, I walk through the entire process, including a “Plan B” for acceleration, right before I add the lye water.

Your process sounds nearly identical to mine. :) I have a plastic basin in the clean sink for putting in plastic- and glass-ware as I finish using them. I soap on a covered counter, floor covered right below me, silicone mat to set down the scraped off SB, colors ready in small individual cups or at the bottom of pour-spout measuring cups ready for portioned batter; lined mold and any swirl tool off to the side; organize organize organize. It takes me as long to prepare and set up the work area for soaping as it does to make the soap, usually about 2 hours in total including removing the supplies from the kitchen afterward.

When I first started, I had all the steps for prepping the lye water (including a"gear up!" statement for goggles and gloves), and all the steps for the CP batching process written out on sheets of notebook paper, and taped them to the cabinets above my work surface so I didn't screw up or miss any steps.

You would defo not catch me splashing around or wasting ANY soap batter cos I use the expensive (generally organic) isht. I have seen messier YT soapers for sure, though, and usually the messiest ones are those who are Not wearing gloves and if you can see, not eye protection either!! :eek:
One girl in particular was like seeing a bad car accident -- that "can't look away" thing.

One girl in particular was like seeing a bad car accident -- that "can't look away" thing

the one I watched to learn HP was like that--I used to say she was a hot mess but I liked her videos and I learned from them. I guess I give anybody a lot of credit and thanks for putting those videos out there for the rest of us to learn from--can you even imagine trying to do those swirls without watching someone else first??

Back