This is why I make soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My son is in college but has been staying with us at home for the last couple of semesters, doing classes online. He’s decided to take some time off school and spend the next several months at his dad‘s house. He’s been gone from my house for two weeks, but is now back for a week to watch our pups while we go away. One of the first things he said to me was, “Mom, can I take some of your soaps back to Rochester with me? I miss your soap.” I guess once you get used to real soap, you miss it when you don’t have it!

I love this post!!! My son just graduated from college and was constantly asking me for soap and lotion bars for himself and his homies. He starts a job soon and has an apartment and told me that he wants to learn my ways because he is trying to reduce the amount of packaging he consumes. What's the saying about the acorn growing?

I love this post!!! My son just graduated from college and was constantly asking me for soap and lotion bars for himself and his homies. He starts a job soon and has an apartment and told me that he wants to learn my ways because he is trying to reduce the amount of packaging he consumes. What's the saying about the acorn growing?
So how do you tote around a lotion bar? After I started making them for a while I kept them in a ziplock bag in my purse or in a dish on my desk (or gave them to people with a little dish to keep them in) but now I mostly put them in tins and reuse them. Just curious how other folks do it.

So how do you tote around a lotion bar? After I started making them for a while I kept them in a ziplock bag in my purse or in a dish on my desk (or gave them to people with a little dish to keep them in) but now I mostly put them in tins and reuse them. Just curious how other folks do it.
Same here, little tins. I buy like the entire Michaels or Joanns inventory. My wife found a motherlode from Poland or somewhere. We save them and our friends and family return them asking for refills.

Good Question' Id think the tins as you mentioned is a good idea or small snap type container. Maybe if the amount of the lotion bar is larger in a twist up type tube' What size are your Lotion Bars?
I'm going to make a body butter' but mine will be tiny, a one time use size' I'm thinking of what I gonna put them in as well. I'd probably go w/ a tin deep enough I can stack them w/ a wax paper between to keep them from sticking & clean or I may go a little larger & use a twist type tube that way it's just easier to use & reuse.

Mighty oaks from little acorns grow.

So your son is going to be a mighty oak! Cool.

I believe it is FALLING, not growing. ;)
I haven't heard this one. What is it?

I think I've merged together two idioms. :) #CovidBrain
The first time I told our son to go get the "Common American Idioms Book" he thought I said "Idiots", and almost started crying. I laughed. I know I'm a terrible, but it was just so funny not only because he was a drama king but because I thought, "How Freudian of you..." 🤣

Yes! My 22 year old daughter is backpacking in Central America now. She insisted on taking a few bars of my soap, despite the weight it added to her pack. She likes it! she likes it!
My 23 yo daughter is in Central America too! She’ll be home for a few weeks in June and also wants to take some back with her. We’ll probably even make some soap while she’s here. ❤

Last edited:
What size are your Lotio
Good Question' Id think the tins as you mentioned is a good idea or small snap type container. Maybe if the amount of the lotion bar is larger in a twist up type tube' What size are your Lotion Bars?
I'm going to make a body butter' but mine will be tiny, a one time use size' I'm thinking of what I gonna put them in as well. I'd probably go w/ a tin deep enough I can stack them w/ a wax paper between to keep them from sticking & clean or I may go a little larger & use a twist type tube that way it's just easier to use & reuse.
My bars are about an ounce and meant mostly for hands I guess because I made them so small. In tins I put about 1.75 oz. I never thought about a twist type tube. Do you mean like one for a fat chapstick?

Latest posts

Back