This is why I don't add FO to the oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
This was meant to be white with green and yellow swirls.
Since I was doing multiple swirls, figured I'd save myself some trouble and scent the whole batch before I separated and colored.

Within a few seconds, it started getting thick so I added my TD to the whole batch, mixed it quick and separated some out to color green. Was able to get the green mixed but by the time I started to pour, it was set up like flan and I had to scoop, plop and smash it in the mold.

Its wrapped now, hoping it will gel so the colors stick together. It smells great though and that awful green will morph back to a lovely mint green.
I expect a good amount of voids in this one

For now on I will scent each color separately as I pour.

Attachments

• 20200605_103744.jpg
    20200605_103744.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 51
Its fresh basil from NG and I had used it before but at a lower amount. Its a wonderful scent and worth any trouble.

It went super hot after 10 minutes and started to volcano. It pushed the puffy top down as it cooled. Its marginal better looking, in the fridge now as it was still really warm.

Haha, it did look like guac. This is it when it was hot and puffy, the proper color comes back quickly.

Attachments

• 20200605_105046.jpg
    20200605_105046.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 45
They turned out just fine, some small holes and of course, the funky top. It looks like gelling did the job of sticking it all together.
It is a really nice scent, maybe not quite like basil but herbally, sweet and kinda spicy. Everyone loves it.

Bummer...😔 What FO did you use? Will have to add it to my naught list. I’m assuming it was one you hadn’t used before? I’m hesitant to add fragrance to the oils too unless I’m doing a single color.
So far FO from nature’s garden always works and behaves well with any soap recipe I use but elements bath and body the FO always makes the soap batter turn pudding immediately without no time to do any designs.

This was meant to be white with green and yellow swirls.
Since I was doing multiple swirls, figured I'd save myself some trouble and scent the whole batch before I separated and colored.

Within a few seconds, it started getting thick so I added my TD to the whole batch, mixed it quick and separated some out to color green. Was able to get the green mixed but by the time I started to pour, it was set up like flan and I had to scoop, plop and smash it in the mold.

Its wrapped now, hoping it will gel so the colors stick together. It smells great though and that awful green will morph back to a lovely mint green.
I expect a good amount of voids in this one

For now on I will scent each color separately as I pour.
You know, I constantly hear of people who add their naughty fragrance oils to their batch oils before adding the lye. The theory is that the large amount of oils will dilute the fragrance and it won't be so naughty. I have never found that to be the case however. My theory is that when you are adding the fragrance to the whole batch, you have now ruined the whole batch. The naughty fragrance oil stays naughty, doesn't all of a sudden act nice. I split my batch, color as I like and scent just seconds before I am going to pour, always hand stirring my scent in. If this doesn't work - I make a note of it - if I definitely want to use this fragrance in the future I will hot process it to save myself the trouble of ricing, or acceleration causing me to rebatch anyway.

I also do not dump my fragrance into my oils, for more than one reason. If I fragrance one color I have separated off and find it accelerates I can hurry and pour it as a layer then pour off more batter from the main adding more color, fragrancing, and using it for layers. If it goes soap-on-a-stick I still have time to reassess what I want to do. I will mention with a new fragrance I usually will only color one even if I separate off more batter, that way it can always go back in the main batter. there a definite advantages for not dumping all the fragrance in your oils.

Another way to test a new fragrance is to put a little lye in a small sample bottle such as a dram bottle, add in a few drops of the fo, shake and see what it does. If you get a lump you will know it is going to be soap-on-a-stick. If it thickens quickly it is usually an accelerating fo. I do not guarantee this as a sure-fire way, but it has helped me many times in determining how an unknown fo will act.

Last edited:
If I would have checked my notes, I would have seen that I had issues with this FO last time too. I often scent the whole batch before separation unless its a new FO or a naughty one.

I too don't understand adding naughty ones up front. I tried it once and it seized immediately. I'm usually pretty careful not to buy known accelerators but this is one I will keep using.

I almost always add my FO to my oils with the exception of naughty ones. Those I hand stir in one at a time. Sometimes I like to live dangerously and will ass a new one without having tested it and it has bi me in the butt a time or two.
Glad your soap worked out in the end.

Nowadays I only dare to add FO to oils when I had used the FO in full amount before and had absolutely no problem with it. Had so many failed batch that I need to rebatch because of the naughty FOs...I even had FO that behaved well in a blend but totally a disaster on its own.

Latest posts

Back