This is not what I was expecting

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynusann

Reaction score
So I made a mardi gras themed soap a couple days ago and it was FINALLY hard enough for me to cut tonight. My colors entirely morphed on me except the purple, but I suppose it still turned out ok. Was shooting for purple, green and yellow - instead I got purple, blue and orange. It does smell pretty though - madagascar vanilla and wild cherry

Helps if I attach the photo I suppose...

Mardi Gras Drop Swirl.jpg

How funny you say it morphed! In the photo (bottom soap especially) I see purple, green and yellow, lol. I guess it looks different IRL. Hopefully the colors will settle back to what you were going for after a bit of cure. No matter what the colors end up to be, it's still very pretty soap!:p

haha, it's funny how everyone sees something slightly different. If I spray it with alcohol or dip the bars in RODI water, it looks purple, green and yellow again. But as soon as it dries, it looks purple, blue and orange again. *sigh*

Think it stands for reverse osmosis deionised but not sure why that's used instead of tap

Sonya is right. I have a 6 stage RODI filter in my basement. I used to breed seahorses so I had to have trashcans full of it on hand at all times. I never got rid of it when I stopped breeding and I don't always have distilled on hand for soap making so it's been the next best thing. Since it's literally sitting right next to my soap curing rack in my basement I use that for cleaning off ash and the likes. I don't know if it does in fact make any difference as compared to tap, but I've never had any issues thusfar so no need to change the routine.

Sonya is right. I have a 6 stage RODI filter in my basement. I used to breed seahorses so I had to have trashcans full of it on hand at all times. I never got rid of it when I stopped breeding and I don't always have distilled on hand for soap making so it's been the next best thing. Since it's literally sitting right next to my soap curing rack in my basement I use that for cleaning off ash and the likes. I don't know if it does in fact make any difference as compared to tap, but I've never had any issues thusfar so no need to change the routine.

You bred seahorses?!?! OMG! I went to the Ocean Rider seahorse breeding facility in Hawaii and it was SO COOL.

You bred seahorses?!?! OMG! I went to the Ocean Rider seahorse breeding facility in Hawaii and it was SO COOL.

Haha yes, I used to. I initially was just rearing Hippocampus reidi (12 of them) but I bought a bonded/mating pair of H. Comes (tiger tails) by mistake and was asked by a conservation group to join, since that particular species is almost unheard of in private trade. It all sort of happened by accident but I had the bonded pair for 4 years. They are cool little creatures though for sure! But long story short...that's why I have RODI water :lol:

I think your soap looks great! I love sea horses. A few years back I had a tank full of dwarf seahorses. I really miss having them. Can be quite an expense but it was so worth it. Right now I have a freshwater tank. Every now and then I tell my hubby I would love to get a dwarf seahorse tank going again. He just shakes his head and tells me he is not helping me with the tanks....LOL...he never has and honestly I would not want him to. I'm too picky to their care.

Latest posts

Back