This is not soap - syndet bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know how to make this 100 SENSES Body Bar that you are talking about? I just reluctantly spent $26+ shipping to have this bar and I love it! It has replaced a very expensive face wash, shampoo, and body wash. I would like to know where I could get this exact same product elsewhere or how to make it but I am not knowledgeable about the ingredients listed. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know how to make this 100 SENSES Body Bar that you are talking about? I just reluctantly spent $26+ shipping to have this bar and I love it! It has replaced a very expensive face wash, shampoo, and body wash. I would like to know where I could get this exact same product elsewhere or how to make it but I am not knowledgeable about the ingredients listed. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
I know some of the ingredients but not all, and of course don't know the recipe.
Looks like the surfactant blend is SCI and coco glucoside; it has some oils, stearic acid, coconut acid (which I don't know), panthenol, aloe, glycerin, and sucrose cocoate (which I also don't know but it almost sounds like soap).
So, at the end of the day, it is very much like a fancy syndet shampoo bar. I would experiment either based on a syndet shampoo bar recipe that works for you, or with the surfactants that were used here.
Unfortunately, I don't think a home-made bar is ever going to be as hard as this one, since it would require milling.

As for an update on the bar if anyone ends up finding this: I have been using it for a month now and still quite like it. I use it on my hair as well and although I can comb through it afterwards, I found that a bit of leave-in conditioner really helps; otherwise it ends up very static (but I have really fine hair so that's often a problem). It's a long lasting bar; after a month's use I still have about ⅔ of it.

Overall judgment: it really is quite nice. Not sure it's worth $26, but if I could figure out how to make it, I definitely would. It is a large bar -- much larger than my regular soap, to the point that it feels kind of like a brick and I was thinking of cutting it in half. So hopefully it will last a long time.

If it does a nice job on your hair without conditioner and lasts a few months...it would definitely be worth it.

I know some of the ingredients but not all, and of course don't know the recipe.
Looks like the surfactant blend is SCI and coco glucoside; it has some oils, stearic acid, coconut acid (which I don't know), panthenol, aloe, glycerin, and sucrose cocoate (which I also don't know but it almost sounds like soap).
So, at the end of the day, it is very much like a fancy syndet shampoo bar. I would experiment either based on a syndet shampoo bar recipe that works for you, or with the surfactants that were used here.
Unfortunately, I don't think a home-made bar is ever going to be as hard as this one, since it would require milling.

As for an update on the bar if anyone ends up finding this: I have been using it for a month now and still quite like it. I use it on my hair as well and although I can comb through it afterwards, I found that a bit of leave-in conditioner really helps; otherwise it ends up very static (but I have really fine hair so that's often a problem). It's a long lasting bar; after a month's use I still have about ⅔ of it.

Thank you for your information. I couldn’t get logged in for some reason on my phone so I apologize for the delayed response. I am new to sydnet bar ingredients so I need all the help I can get. I would like to try making some sydnet bars someday once I learn more.

It really is a wonderful bar. I have used it heavily everyday for a month and I still have about a half a bar left. I am pleased with my purchase.

Thank you for your information. I couldn’t get logged in for some reason on my phone so I apologize for the delayed response. I am new to sydnet bar ingredients so I need all the help I can get. I would like to try making some sydnet bars someday once I learn more.

It really is a wonderful bar. I have used it heavily everyday for a month and I still have about a half a bar left. I am pleased with my purchase.
Thank you for your feedback!

What is the Sucrose Cocoate ingredient ?

Sucrose Cocoate

This is a very mild surfactant, which is prepared from coconut oil fatty acids and sugar from sugar beets. It is used in shampoos, intimate cleansing lotions and shower gels. In shampoos, it reduces the electrostatic charging of hair. In skin cleansing products it is very gentle. It can also reduce the irritating properties of other surfactants.

https://www.ecco-verde.com/info/ingredients/sucrose-cocoate
Incidentally, if you need help formulating a dupe of a commercial product, Susan Barclay-Nichols of Point-of-Interest (swiftcraftymonkey.com) is an excellent resource. She mentions working with this product in 2018 in this post and possibly others. (FYI - That link will only open for logged-in subscribers.) She actually did mention this syndet bar in one of her posts in June 2019.

Susan often helps subscription-holders to figure out how to duplicate commercial products. It depends on their subscription level, though, so if anyone wants some help figuring out how to duplicate a particular product, I highly recommend looking here.

Sucrose Cocoate

https://www.ecco-verde.com/info/ingredients/sucrose-cocoate
Incidentally, if you need help formulating a dupe of a commercial product, Susan Barclay-Nichols of Point-of-Interest (swiftcraftymonkey.com) is an excellent resource. She mentions working with this product in 2018 in this post and possibly others. (FYI - That link will only open for logged-in subscribers.) She actually did mention this syndet bar in one of her posts in June 2019.

Susan often helps subscription-holders to figure out how to duplicate commercial products. It depends on their subscription level, though, so if anyone wants some help figuring out how to duplicate a particular product, I highly recommend looking here.

Thank you so very much. I just bought the 100 Senses bar and would like to duplicate it I know with the quad milling it will be impossible for exact but French milling will be an option.

French milling or milling or triple milling is the process of passing dry flaked soap through chilled steel or stone rollers to alter the crystalline structure and compact the soap. Soap can be passed through rollers anywhere from one to several times. Too many passes through the milling rollers causes the soap to degrade, so a max of three passes is typical (aka triple milled soap).

I think a lot of handcraft soap makers use the word "milling" when they really mean rebatching. Not sure if that's what you have in mind? Anyways, milling and rebatching are totally different processes.

Thank you so very much. I just bought the 100 Senses bar and would like to duplicate it I know with the quad milling it will be impossible for exact but French milling will be an option.
I'm curious to hear how your experiment goes!
Once I looked into milling, and for some reason concluded that it's not really doable / worth it; but I don't remember the details.

I have to admit, I still really like these bars and have been using them since January. A single bar lasts me for 3 months. Of course I like real soap too (I make them, after all!), and use them for hand washing, but the main advantage for this one for me is that I keep only 1 bar in the shower, and it's good for everything -- soap, shampoo, even for shaving. So it's a win for me, less clutter.

Scent review, in case it's useful for someone: I really love the wild lavender (but know that not everyone is a fan), and much liked the green tea (it was just a tiny bit sweet, but earthy and overall very pleasant). I was somehow not a huge fan of the orange neroli, it faded quickly and had some sort of chemical side to it, but it may just be my nose.

I like how it performs with my hair no conditioner needed and I’ve always used conditioner. But I still feel cleaner with a lye soap bar.

I’ve purchased all of the listed ingredients on the 100 Senses label for this bar. I’ve also joined Swift Monkey $3 but I can’t find the actual formula anywhere. Anyone have any clues?? Thank you.

You have to ask Susan for help by suggesting it as one of her duplication trials. She takes requests, then chooses one per month.

Read this post: How to duplicate a product! – Point of Interest

To submit an request for duplicating a product go here: $3 subscribers and up: September 2020 duplication request post – Point of Interest

Have you searched the already duplicated products history?

When I search 100 Senses this post comes up: Q&A: What the heck is coconut acid? #alltheingredients – Point of Interest

Just for interest, here is one shampoo bar she did duplicate: Making shampoo bars with sodium coco sulfate: Duplication of the Lush Jumping Juniper shampoo bar – Point of Interest

And here is another one: Subscriber exclusive: Potential duplication of Lush’s Godiva shampoo bar (part one) – Point of Interest
https://www.swiftcraftymonkey.blog/...ication-of-lushs-godiva-shampoo-bar-part-two/
Reading those carefully will help you understand the process of duplication.

I’ve purchased all of the listed ingredients on the 100 Senses label for this bar. I’ve also joined Swift Monkey $3 but I can’t find the actual formula anywhere. Anyone have any clues?? Thank you.
I'm not a current supporter of Susan, because I've had little motivation to actually formulate at night lately...but I have been in the past.
Search her site for her explanation on how she formulates. It is a really good starting point for learning how ingredients are added and in typical concentrations. She also has an e-book that is specifically on shampoo bars that I haven't personally bought, but if I were currently formulating a SCI based bar, would want to check out. I think it's pretty affordable from what I remember.

Additionally, there is a pretty good Facebook group that I'm a part of that discusses shampoo bars: Syndet Shampoo Bars Making and info Sharing. They have a lot of good free info in their files.

I bought this about 2 weeks ago. I absolutely love it; threw out every bottle of shampoo I own. Until I started coloring my hair I never needed conditioner and then after that I could never find a shampoo OR conditioner, cheap or salon, that made my hair feel like it's normal self....until 100 Senses. My skin likes it too - so I was wondering about duplicating it.

Back