1. We are helping test out a new project for soapmakers. Soapmaking Friend. If you are interested in providing feedback and help guide this project to include all you want to see in a recipe builder and calculator please PM an Admin or post in the Announcements forum. Your feedback is really needed!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

this is Not a farmers market... vent

Discussion in 'Craft Fairs & Shows' started by Lin19687, Aug 5, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Aug 5, 2018 #1

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

So I did a Farmers market about 1/2 hr away. Suppose to be $15 a day on Sunday's . I was excited !!
    Wasn't until after I said I would come (today till end of Oct) that I read somewhere on the FB page that the end of Aug would be the end of this market, forever .... now I know why.

This is NOT a FM, it is more like a Flea Market.

I get there and there are 2 people only there, one makes doll clothes and the other makes... well not really sure, a bunch of painted rocks and twigs stuck on a board. :confused:
    Then the few others come...
    A Re-seller of some lotion company and I was not allowed to be near her because she might not like that. I don't have lotions, Just soap.
    Other is a re-seller of dresses, another of (she may make them) hooded towels and another that looked like she grabbed a bunch of stuff from the $1 store and resold it plus Tupperware but it looked like $1 store Tupperware. o_O
    There was a Jewelry maker and one lone Farmer with veggies/meat.... but to be honest I don't think I would buy from him. Can't put my finger on it but I just wouldn't have.
    Nothing looked like anyone cared, kind of disheveled with no table covers to hide the pile of bags they shoved under the tables.

That is it.... This is what we call a flea market .

She then said they have not gotten much traffic this year. Seriously ?? You could have told me that before, and maybe that you allow re-sellers and that it is not a true FM.... not that Soaping is a true Farmers market but eventually I will have Eggs to sell so I want to establish a market now.

grrrr a waste of time. She did say that if they didn't get much traffic I wouldn't have to pay... which I didn't.
    I did manage to sell a 4 for $20 set but it was not worth the drive or time.

let's hope that the new one I have slotted for Tuesday evening will be worth the cover fee.

BTW, I still sold $90 worth of stuff in the rain on Saturday at my free FM ;)

2. Aug 5, 2018 #2

LiLiSoapz

LiLiSoapz

LiLiSoapz

I'm sorry that that was your experience. You taught me to ask pertenant questions prior to agreeing to do an event.

Expected traffic
    How many vendors
    Any special quirks that one must be aware of
    Typical decor
    Etc...

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  3. Aug 6, 2018 #3

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

Sorry your market was so bad, but it happens and is always a chance when attending a new market
    Sadly, don't expect to get real honest answers from a market manager. They are simply going to tell you it is good since they need vendors. Some may be honest it depends on how much it costs them to run the market.

lindakschickens likes this.
  4. Aug 6, 2018 #4

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

I too should have asked more questions but honestly it is so late in the season I was happy that they had openings.
    I do have someone that I will be calling today for another show that I will Definitely be asking more questions !
    One that I will be doing tomorrow is in a very good neighborhood so the flow will be good ;) and at the local park.... where Mum's go with their little ones

5. Aug 6, 2018 #5

maya

maya

maya

Oh I have been in your spot. It sucks. Can you talk to the market manager? It really sounds like they could use some help.

6. Aug 6, 2018 #6

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

I no longer do shows that the organizer isn't a vendor for. If they're not selling stuff, they have no investment in advertising or promoting vendors. If I can, I try to check out the market in advance. Sometimes that means I'm checking out events a year in advance :/

maya and shunt2011 like this.
  7. Aug 6, 2018 #7

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

I do the same as amd. If so called Farmer's Markets allow non handmade items, I'm out. I learned the hard way. The one I did years ago now has Pampered Chef, Tupperware etc...

maya and amd like this.