This is my attempt at rooibos chai tea

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmi

Reaction score
This is the color of tea/lye solution.....
IMG-20130601-00145.jpg
IMG-20130601-00146.jpg

and this the color the soap ended up. Not the color I was planning but I think it looks yummy and smells even better.

IMG-20130604-00147.jpg
IMG-20130604-00148.jpg

The cinnamon and clove on top complements the FO too.

Forgot to mention that the FO I used (Chai Tea from NG) has a 2% vanilla content. Now I know how much that % will impact the color.

Pretty! I have that fragrance oil, too, but I have not tried it yet. I'm glad to see that you think it smells good!

Rachelmf, I thought the scent was very light in the bottle. It is not light (even at 1 oz per 2 lbs of soap) and I like it better in soap. I used very fresh cinnamon and clove on the top which blends really nice with the scent too.

Cara, it looks like caramel fudge or blonde brownies doesn't it?

Very nice!! I LOVE Chai!! I'm drinking a cup right now, lol. I order my chai fragrance from bittercreeksouth, I only use it in tarts so far...awesome scent, but your post has got me thinking about adding a new soap to my line...:smile: It's super nice, but I wondered did it end up getting a lot darker due to the vanilla?

Debra, thanks! I agree the scent is awesome and the tea itself is my favorite :) Try the cinnamon and clove on top. It blends well with the scent of the FO. The chai FO that I used from NG is 2% vanilla. If your FO is less it may turn out a softer caramel color. If it has no vanilla it should retain the color of the tea infusion.

I like your soap, well done!! I love the chai from NG....I've made soap and emulsified sugar scrub with it and I'm not wanting to share it...unfortunately my customers like it too.

Debra, thanks! I agree the scent is awesome and the tea itself is my favorite :) Try the cinnamon and clove on top. It blends well with the scent of the FO. The chai FO that I used from NG is 2% vanilla. If your FO is less it may turn out a softer caramel color. If it has no vanilla it should retain the color of the tea infusion.

Oh...so these bars have cured, and this is as dark as they got!!! Wow! that's not bad at all for 2% vanilla.

I wish I have taken a picture of the raw soap before adding the FO and putting it in the mold. It was a lighter version of the lye water shown above. So I'm sure some of the coloring is due to the infused tea and some from the FO.

I really like the caramel color. Mine changed from the reddish to the caramel color also. But I like it. Let us know how you like it once its cured. I really like the one that I made. It turned out really silky smooth.

Back