This is addicting

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 28270

Reaction score
I've been a wet-shaver for years. What started off as a slight interest in how shaving soap was made, turned into "Hey, I think I can do this and it might be fun."

After watching countless videos, and reading 100's of pages in the (in)famous thread here, I opted to make a batch following the directions laid out on the Silver Fox site.

Of course, what followed next was the "what if I change this" and "what if I add this".

I quickly got a sense for what I wanted in my soap and in what proportions relative to other oils/butters.
The biggest thing was moving away from using round numbers in the recipes - 2% lanolin in the soap is very different from 5%.

In the end, I made many, many batches. Several variations on each major recipe change to see how smaller tweaks impacted the lather, glide and post-shave face feel. I was smart enough to make very small batches as not to build up years worth of shaving soap I didn't want to use.

I think I finally have one I'm happy with. Well, until maybe next week...

Welcome Tim, would you like to go to the Introduction page and tell us a bit about yourself.

It absolutely is so addicting. I've made probably 50 different recipes, tweaking slightly and recording all the data. Make sure you're doing that so you know what works and can looklback. I finally think I have the perfect recipe, but I'll probably change that too at some point, hence why I titles it "Final Recipe #1" haha.

I settled on combination of stearic acid, tallow, coconut oil, shea butter, almond oil & lanolin. KOH/NaOH, H2O/aloe juice, glycerin and sodium lactate.
I think. Maybe after a couple more shaves with it I'll decide for certain.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I know exactly what you mean about soapmaking being addictive, lol! I still get as much fun out of making soap now as I did when I started.

My husband adores the shaving soap you mentioned. He's not too keen on me making changes to it but I might just quietly slip in some aloe, as I haven't tried that yet! If he's not keen, my friends husbands are very willing to take test batches off my hands!!!

Back