This is a new problem for me

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opalgirl

Reaction score
So I made this awesome dead sea mud bar with all kinds of expensive oils and "good for ya" stuff. I thought it would look cool plus add some exfoliation if I added some medium coarse dead sea salt on top. Just checked the bars and they are somewhat wet where the salt crystals are imbedded. No lye issues or excess oils. It looks like water. My bars cure on cardboard and the cardboard definitely shows signs of moisture. (they are on their sides). Any clues? I really don't want to chuck this batch. Too much $$ invested. Thanks!
Opalgirl

The salt is probably drawing water out of the bar. Chemically, since the salt is embedded in the bar and can't diffuse equally throughout the bar, water is moving toward the salt to try to even out the salt concentration. It's the same idea as killing slugs by pouring salt on them - they eventually dehydrate and die because the water moves out of their body.

You could cut off the embedded salt, and that should halt the moisture loss.

Salt is hygroscopic - it will pull moisture out of humid air. The only fix for that is to remove the salt, or to remove the water. You can try blotting them, storing in a dehumidified room until fully cured, then shrink wrap in an air-tight wrapper. However, if the moisture is coming from the bar - well gee, I guess you couls cut off the salt as mentioned above.

Dead sea salt is even worse than regular salt, I think.

Yes, dead sea salt + soap = goopy mess. I think it's because it's some type of minerals and not even really salt. But it makes for a mushy mess if you were to make a salt bar.

agriffin said:
Yes, dead sea salt + soap = goopy mess. I think it's because it's some type of minerals and not even really salt. But it makes for a mushy mess if you were to make a salt bar.

I believe you are thinking of epsom salts that are not really salt - and they're an even bigger problem in soap!

yup, dead sea salts plus cp soap = pretty useless soap. sweaty, gooey, and lathers like a lump of cement. i LOVE dead sea salts but gave up on them for cp, even for topping. :(

Back